Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 10:34 AM

Default NL 10 Bad Play?

This guy ripped into me for at least 5 minutes after I made this call. I was wondering if anyone else calls here. I will give my reasoning for all streets in blue.

Table is 6 handed only but HU going into the flop. I am OOP. The guy that called can get tricky and seems to be very aggressive. I have yet to see him turn over an amazing hand. He likes to value bet, some where between 1/2 to 1/3 the pot, when he has a good pair or 2 pair. These are the reads I have on him. Oh he was stacked about 15 minutes ago. And about 4 hands ago he took down a pot against me when I folded to his turn bet (almost exactly the same as the hand below).

MP limps
Everyone folds
Hero (SB) raises to .4 with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
MP calls

Flop
K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero bets .75, MP calls <font color="blue"> My standard bet on the flop </font>

Turn
T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero checks, MP bets $1.85, Hero calls <font color="blue"> I called because I know he can get tricky and I folded here about 4 hands ago. This bet seemed normal for him and I figured I would float him here in hopes it will be +EV in the future. Not to mention I could hit a Q and he would think Im the worst player ever</font>

River (pot is 5.70)
9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero checks, MP bets $4.75, Hero thinks a while then calls <font color="blue"> This bet didnt seem normal from him. His normal value bet would be between 2.75 and 3.75. I thought this bet seemed way larger than his normal river bets. </font>

Needless to say my decision was right, but my question is what do yall (southern boy) think about my thought process? Does anyone else call here with these reads? I had only played about 200 hands with him.

I noted this for the next time we play just to look out for the big bet when he has a hand next time.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:45 AM

Default Re: NL 10 Bad Play?

You only beat A8, A6-, Q8, J6, 56... That really is the very bottom end of his range I guess. This is a huge hero call, but I still think you will spew a lot if you call here often.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:45 AM

You're OOP. Floating the turn is BS. If he's been floating you lately, go for a turn checkraise. If you call, you still don't know where you stand; also, you don't have control of the betting here.

Fold the turn.
Other than that, fold the river unless your read is 100% accurate...
Old 11-13-2007, 10:47 AM

I like what you did because you have a really have this guy's ranges down pat. Now if you made this play without any info then yea, I would say this is a bad play. But your breakdown is great [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2007, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but I still think you will spew a lot if you call here often.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hardly ever call here. I rarely (less than 5% of the time) call this river. I played this hand very differently than my normal check, fold on this turn.

I wouldnt say the read was 100% but I have never seen him bet this large on the river. Now when I play him I know this read is almost worthless because of this hand.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:05 AM

My problem is that even most of his bluffs beat you. This time it worked out, but I don;t think it's +EV.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:33 PM

im glad this worked but u only beat aces worse than AJ IMO so in a bubble this call is pretty bad. if you have a super strong read than cool but I dont think too many people are going to say this is a good call in general.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:44 PM

Cool thanks. BTW he had J6 off.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had only played about 200 hands with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the name of the law? Caro's Law of Loose Wiring or something like that, most your bad opponents are just making up there decisions as they go, with no real rhyme or reason. (bad paraphrase)

Anyway, I don't like this at all. A lot of the reason I don't like it it that you can easily justify tilting, steaming calls by saying "I had a read" and you start making calls like this not realizing how often you are wrong, just remembering times like this when it was right.

As far as the actual hand goes, after he calls the flop what are you putting him on? He cold called a raise and then took one off on an extremely dry K-high board. If you think he's taking one off a ton here without a king, then fire again on the turn, don't go into check-call mode.

On the turn, that's not a float, and if it is it's not a good spot for one. If you float to take it away on the river, you then checked and let him have a chance to get a free showdown. I rarely think floating the turn to a bet that size is correct, especially out of position. Doing it, then checking the river is no good.

If your opponent is bad enough to be pushing a hand you beat here often enough to call him profitably, then you'll have much better spots against him.