Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 07:20 AM

Default Californians fires

As I watch the news, here, in Australia, my thought go to all those people that have lost their houses and possessions (and some indeed their lives or loved ones lives) in California those past days.

I was disturbed by also being forced to watch President Bush promise (another promisee, another lie) those Californians that they will not be forgotten in Washington and that help was forthcoming.

Assuming that President Bush was not lying, a big ask, I understand, what would make those Californians different from the many from New Orleans that are still waiting, regardless of even the international support and donations that that catastrophe generated?
Old 10-26-2007, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Californians fires

[ QUOTE ]
As I watch the news, here, in Australia, my thought go to all those people that have lost their houses and possessions (and some indeed their lives or loved ones lives) in California those past days.

I was disturbed by also being forced to watch President Bush promise (another promisee, another lie) those Californians that they will not be forgotten in Washington and that help was forthcoming.

Assuming that President Bush was not lying, a big ask, I understand, what would make those Californians different from the many from New Orleans that are still waiting, regardless of even the international support and donations that that catastrophe generated?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing. Californians are also unfortunate enough to have one of dumbest governors in America, so they're pretty much screwed. And you people wonder why most 2+2ers don't trust the government.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got some exciting news for you, your contributions are welcome here:

Bush-Clinton Katrina Fund

I'm happy that you're contributing. As far as feds ignoring people in need of Katrina relief, first time in history that spending $127 billion amounts to ignoring disaster victems plight.

The Big Easy’s Billion Dollar Boondoggle

Here’s a pop quiz: How much money has Uncle Sam spent on New Orleans and the Gulf region since Hurricane Katrina ripped the place apart?

I’ll give you the answer because you’ll never guess it. The grand total is $127 billion (including tax relief).

and

Perhaps all this money should’ve been directly deposited in the bank accounts of the 300,000 people living in New Orleans. All divvied up, that $127 billion would come to $425,000 per person! After thanking Uncle Sam for their sudden windfall, residents could head to Southern California and buy homes that are now on sale thanks to the sub-prime mortgage crisis and bid up the sagging house prices in the state.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:16 AM

Genuinely interesting post, adios, no sarcasm intended.

I am a bit dubious about whom got in receipt of the $127 billions. Maybe like the Iraq war costs it goes to Bush and his cronies.

I do seem to remember that some foreign monies got returned. I didn't get mine back, and I know people who have lost all and need it the most, albeit not any longer in New Orleans didn't get their "fair" share.

Anyway I'll try to check out what went to the people renting rooms and surviving from music in New Orleans, etc..
Old 10-26-2007, 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
James Madison is the acknowledged father of the constitution. In 1794, when Congress appropriated $15,000 for relief of French refugees who fled from insurrection in San Domingo to Baltimore and Philadelphia. James Madison wrote disapprovingly, "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
In 1854, President Franklin Pierce vetoed a popular measure to help the mentally ill saying, “I cannot find any authority in the Constitution for public charity.” To approve the measure "would be contrary to the letter and the spirit of the Constitution and subversive to the whole theory upon which the Union of these States is founded.”

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
During President Grover Cleveland’s two terms in office, he vetoed many congressional appropriations, often saying there was no constitutional authority for such an appropriation. Vetoing a bill for relief charity, President Cleveland said, “I can find no warrant for such an appropriation in the Constitution, and I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering which is in no manner properly related to the public service or benefit.”

[/ QUOTE ]

Their misfortune is no Constitutional entitlement to my treasure, a long forgotten truth.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Their misfortune is no Constitutional entitlement to my treasure, a long forgotten truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, we know where to place you on he scale of empathy for others.

I am presuming that you are part of a real minority in the US. Of course there is a lot of evidence that shows that you may not be part of such a minority after all!
Old 10-26-2007, 10:17 AM

Semi off topic, but I thought is was kind of funny. Radio bit this morning had a fake Gov Schwarzenegger on talking about the fire.

One of his lines was "dont worry, President Bush has assured me that the War on Fire is just beginning."
Old 10-26-2007, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, we know where to place you on he scale of empathy for others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Empathy has nothing to do with fact.

Fact: The US Constitution does not authorize the federal govt to seize assets to relieve individual suffering. The Constitution makes no prohibition on state and local govts from taking action or from individuals giving freely on their own accord, however.

Americans have shown over and over again to be extremely generous in helping each other and those around the world following a disaster without needing their contributions coerced from them by force.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, midge, I thought you said government was so awesome. Now you're telling me that politicians lie, and actually won't help you when you need it???
Old 10-26-2007, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait, midge, I thought you said government was so awesome. Now you're telling me that politicians lie, and actually won't help you when you need it???

[/ QUOTE ] He personally believes that this only applies US American politicians ldo.