Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 02:25 AM

Default Aggression...

Im not sure if this topic has been covered before, but it is a major leak in my game and im interested to hear what others have to say.
I have recently begun to loosen up my game with my pre-flop raising range. I am trying to become a little more LAG.
My question is: When you are raising in position and miss the flop completly what do most players use to evaluate how far you are willing to bluff.
For example, say I raise AQ in the cutoff and get called by the sb. Flop comes K high, Villian checks,I bet, villian calls. Turn villian check...how often are we cbetting here?
What factors do most players use when to check or when to fire the second round?
Old 10-17-2007, 03:34 AM

Default Re: Aggression...

If it is a leak then plug it - you just might not be very good at doing it. You may be giving off tells, I really don't know. If you were a winning player before then trying to be a LAG may be your problem. Everybody has their natural game and a good TAG player may be a useless LAG player. Don't try to be something your'e not. It seems like everyone wants to be a LAG these days - more of a macho thing than anything else.

C betting is so common place now that it is losing its power IMHO. No one believes the C bet on flop and the power comes more from following through on the turn. Trouble is, you have now put a huge amount in the pot.

I have found that checking the flop rather than C betting is quite powerful. People think you must be strong by playing weak. If someone then bets a re-raise can often take it down. If no one bets then a C bet on turn has a greater impact - they think you checked your good hand on flop but are now betting strong.

Having said the above, it is all dependent on your opposition. If they are weak players then a standard C bet on flop is still the way to go.

Oh what a complcated game this poker is.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If it is a leak then plug it - you just might not be very good at doing it. You may be giving off tells, I really don't know. If you were a winning player before then trying to be a LAG may be your problem. Everybody has their natural game and a good TAG player may be a useless LAG player. Don't try to be something your'e not. It seems like everyone wants to be a LAG these days - more of a macho thing than anything else.

C betting is so common place now that it is losing its power IMHO. No one believes the C bet on flop and the power comes more from following through on the turn. Trouble is, you have now put a huge amount in the pot.

I have found that checking the flop rather than C betting is quite powerful. People think you must be strong by playing weak. If someone then bets a re-raise can often take it down. If no one bets then a C bet on turn has a greater impact - they think you checked your good hand on flop but are now betting strong.

Having said the above, it is all dependent on your opposition. If they are weak players then a standard C bet on flop is still the way to go.

Oh what a complcated game this poker is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. If I'm against a thinking player, I often check the flop and cont bet the turn in position, especially with a scare card. It is a rare out of position player that is capable of checking both the flop and turn with a big hand.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:56 PM

bluffing flop _and_ turn is a bad idea in general. When the top card of the flop pairs and the flop contained several draws I fire another barrel sometimes.
In general just c/f.