Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 09:45 AM

Default Re: NL10 - straight on river. Fold, call or push to 1.3 x PSB ?

[ QUOTE ]
Call the river, but be very careful in spots like this. Although you have a gutshot AND a flush draw (sexiness) the board is paired. You're not drawing to a nuts hand and you've got no idea what the villain has since it was a limped pot. If I was getting odds on flop and turn, I'd call if the board wasn't paired. In this case, I could be chasing a hand that won't even win me the pot, so I'd fold flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks - it's all starting to become so much clearer now and yet I completely missed it. No only when I played the hand but when I studied the Hand History too. It's not hard to see why they say it's not enough to study the books (I have a set of six 2+2 books already) - you have to post hands too.

Thanks Rapid - from someone stuck in the evolutionary slow lane.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OP, I don't think you should ve called his flop bet to start with. Chasing draws (either FDs or straight draws) can easily become very expensive.
Especially in limped pots where its tough to put villain on a hand I simply wouldn't do it most of the times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm, I think you could be on to something there. The better I've got [I thought] at calculating outs and pot odds the more money I have lost - and that's been puzzling me. I do the sums and think "OK, outs to pot odds says call" - and then either I miss the draw or I hit, to either win a tinny, winny little bit or sometimes (like this time) lose lots.

I think you've just saved me a stack of chips! Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome!
Old 10-10-2007, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The better I've got [I thought] at calculating outs and pot odds the more money I have lost - and that's been puzzling me. I do the sums and think "OK, outs to pot odds says call" - and then either I miss the draw or I hit, to either win a tinny, winny little bit or sometimes (like this time) lose lots.

[/ QUOTE ]

One important point is, that "outs to pot odds relation" maths assumes that you win the pot should you hit your hand. You can do that, but an "out" is a card that gives you the absolute nuts then.

Drawing to the, say, 3rd best flush on a paired board isnīt like having 9 outs then. Reduce some.

As for getting paid: a weird straight in a multiway pot is a lot better than an obvious flush when heads-up! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]