Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 05:30 AM

Default NL10 - straight on river. Fold, call or push to 1.3 x PSB ?

Any help thoughts or comments on any street, much appreciated.

<font color="blue">Reads: This was my tenth hand at this table, right after a couple of bad beats had kicked me out of an MTT – so I wasn’t really concentrating. Sorry, yeah, I know it’s dumb, but we can’t help it sometimes can we (or is it only me?) so no useful reads, but the table average for %players seeing the flop was around 45%. </font>

No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (10 handed)

<font color="red">Villain (26.72)</font>
UTG+1 (13.40)
EP1 (8.51)
EP2 (6.79)
MP1 (8.82)
<font color="green">Hero (9.75)</font>
CO (13.06)
Button (2.35)
SB (7.95)
BB (1.77)

Preflop: Villain is UTG. Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

<font color="red">UTG (villain) call 0.10,</font> <font color="#666666"> fold</font>, EP1 call 0.10,</font> <font color="#666666"> 2 fold</font>, <font color="green">Hero call 0.10</font>, <font color="#666666">2 fold</font>, SB call 0.10, BB check

Flop: (0.50) 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>

SB check, BB check, <font color="red"> villain bet 0.40,</font> EP1 fold, <font color="green">Hero call 0.40</font>, SB fold, BB fold

Turn: (1.24) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

<font color="red"> villain bet 0.70,</font> <font color="green">Hero call 0.70</font>

River: (2.57) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

<font color="red"> villain bet 3.40,</font> <font color="green">Hero….. fold, call or push?</font>
Old 10-10-2007, 05:54 AM

Default Re: NL10 - straight on river. Fold, call or push to 1.3 x PSB ?

w/ no reads, I just call here.

We have to win ~38% of the time.

Our hand is good often. Problem is, if we raise and he calls our raise, are we good then? Thatīs why I donīt raise here.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:55 AM

Thanks 'WantToLearn' - that's just the kind of input I was looking for.

Just to let you know what I was thinking ... he has three BI in front of him so he probably isn't a fish. He called UTG and then raised on a flop with a K and two tens on the board. What could that be?

OK, a call UTG could be a medium pair, a couple of broadway cards (but not AK), or maybe something like AT. So the 0.40 bet into a 0.50 pot made something like KT+ look possible.

At this spot I had a total of 12 outs - nine for a flush + 3 for a straight (not double counting the Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] which would have given me a lovely running flush). With 12 outs I am at least going to call in the face of a possible TPGK - but decided against a raise.

8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the turn, and he bets just over half the pot. My 12 outs still look worth a call.

Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the river giving me a straight, and he bets 3.40 into a pot of 2.57 - which would fit if he started with KQ and just made two pair.

So I pushed my straight.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He called UTG and then raised on a flop with a K and two tens on the board. What could that be?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything he limped with. Like, paired board, he might be giving it a try even if he missed. I donīt say itīs world class play to bet like pocket fours into such a big field, but I wouldnīt rule it out either.

[ QUOTE ]
Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the river giving me a straight, and he bets 3.40 into a pot of 2.57 - which would fit if he started with KQ and just made two pair.

So I pushed my straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, KQ is the most likely hand here IMO. It means he bet the flop because his hand was decent, then he kind of "asked" if you have a ten when he made that smallish turn bet (still laying bad odds to a normal draw though), and come the river he now feels save.

Anyway - he sometimes has it and sometimes he will surprise us. Will he have it often if he calls the shove? Thereīs still ~$5 effective stacks behind.

By the way, this all follows your thought that he is an ok player. But - do not assume this simply because he has a big stack.
I donīt say that piece of information is worthless. Check out how many tables heīs playing. If he has a big stack and is playing like 8 to 12 tables at a time, all right. If he has a big stack and is playing one table, chances are you run into a lucky gambler. And again, sometimes we are right and sometimes they will surprise us.

Something else - when thinking about odds, consider that your so-called "outs" are worth less on a paired board!
Old 10-10-2007, 08:01 AM

WantTo ...... you are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO right [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

He had 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and won with a Full House.

I wouldn't say this was a bad beat because as soon as I pushed and he called I thought, "oh [censored], he's got a Full House" (thinking KT or QT rather than 8T - but oh well).

It made me think of the rule 'don't raise on the river unless there are hands you beat that will fold and/or hands you beat that will call' - so I was pretty sure afterwards that I had been pretty dumb. Maybe I was hoping people who rush to say 'push' so I wouldn't feel so bad.

I now still reckon it was worth a call, but pushing was dumb.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
WantTo ...... you are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO right [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just guessing [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

All right, so he was not such a good player after all.

That was my other though: if he is a bad player, then trips are most likely. He does not have a full house when the flop comes (assuming they nearly always play it slow), then heīs trying for your to raise him on the turn (typical as well), and when the river comes he tries to get the money in after his slowplaying "succesfully" kept you in the hand. Standard line for bad players. They never understand that getting money in the pot early is what makes the really big pots in the end. That is... normaly [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2007, 08:28 AM

Oh yes, and it certainly isnīt your problem alone. Couple of weeks ago I called a villains shove with my set. I put him precisely on the flush he had, but I didnīt have the disciplin to fold.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:34 AM

OP, I don't think you should ve called his flop bet to start with. Chasing draws (either FDs or straight draws) can easily become very expensive.
Especially in limped pots where its tough to put villain on a hand I simply wouldn't do it most of the times.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OP, I don't think you should ve called his flop bet to start with. Chasing draws (either FDs or straight draws) can easily become very expensive.
Especially in limped pots where its tough to put villain on a hand I simply wouldn't do it most of the times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm, I think you could be on to something there. The better I've got [I thought] at calculating outs and pot odds the more money I have lost - and that's been puzzling me. I do the sums and think "OK, outs to pot odds says call" - and then either I miss the draw or I hit, to either win a tinny, winny little bit or sometimes (like this time) lose lots.

I think you've just saved me a stack of chips! Thanks.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:16 AM

Call the river, but be very careful in spots like this. Although you have a gutshot AND a flush draw (sexiness) the board is paired. You're not drawing to a nuts hand and you've got no idea what the villain has since it was a limped pot. If I was getting odds on flop and turn, I'd call if the board wasn't paired. In this case, I could be chasing a hand that won't even win me the pot, so I'd fold flop.