Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 09-12-2007, 04:54 AM

Default NL25 - AA UTG

I’m sorry if this maybe too simple and obvious for you guys, but I have seen it said that the only way to improve is to study, practice and post hand histories. Well I’ve done loads of the first two, so I'd better get going on the third.

From what I have read I *think* I’m OK with not playing trash, playing position, thinking about pot odds, etc. – but I get really lost towards the end of a hand when things don’t turn out the way I wanted them to.

Here’s an example, lovingly crafted by hand:

No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.12/$0.25 Blinds - 9 Players

SB: $24.75
BB: $22.12
<font color="red">HeroUTG) $44.18</font>
UTG+1: $24.58
Villain: $26.50
MP2: $20.28
MP3: $23.82
CO: $12.90
BTN: $13.25

Reads:<font color="blue">Not much to go on here I’m afraid. I’ve only been at this table for around 20 hands but I won two big hands in the first orbit with two monsters that didn’t go to showdown. Villain has only just arrived to see me fold my last three or four hands. He’s off the mark following a pre-flop raise and a post-flop fold to his c-bet.</font>

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="red">Hero raises to $1.0,</font> 1 fold, villain calls $1, 5 folds, BB calls $1

Flop: ($3.12) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="red">Hero bets $3.0,</font> villain calls, BB folds

Turn: ($8.67) 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="red">Hero bets $6.0,</font> villain calls

River: ($20.07) K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">Hero checks,</font> villain bets 10.25

..... so, do I call or fold? [And was the turn bet a bad idea after he called my pot sized bet?]
Old 09-12-2007, 05:00 AM

Default Re: NL25 - AA UTG

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/po...=&amp;Board=FR

Hmm...calling river is an option here because the draw missed.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:43 AM

I'd like to share my IMHO on this point.

When you raise preflop, you may get a caller with ANY PAIR, seeking for a set (calling for set value). Set will hit 1/8 times, so implied odds for villain to hit a set is:

(1$ your preflop raise) x (1/8 times for villain hit a set) = 8$.

If you will invest more money, then say 10$ - you are loosing money for any pair calling you in the long run for set value (or two pair, like KJ in this case).

But - this is just my IMHO theory. If villain is wild, or is real nit, or i have some reads - i may reevaluate this at the table. Here we do not have information on villain - that's why we count he is good player (until otherwise will be proven).

Summarizing all this i will try to play the pot, investing total no more, then 10$.

But! I will raise more preflop, say 1.5$ from UTG - to cut down implied odds for small pairs and to compensate my positional disadvantage after the flop. (I will mix my play with AA from UTG like = 80% raise to 1.5$, 10% - raise to 1$, 10% - limp-reraise preflop).

As played I will make 70% continuation bet on flop, say 2$, so the pot will be 7$ on the turn, bet 4$ on the turn, so the river pot will be 15$ - of my total investment 7$ - and make a blocking bet of 1/3 the pot, fold to reraise - because river K is scared card for you. You beat here only busted flush/str draws - you loose to AK, KQ, KJ.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:49 AM

If you folded the river you have played this hand perfectly as far as I am concerned...
Old 09-12-2007, 12:22 PM

i like betting turn for value...just the worst river card this time for you...these spots really suck OOP not sure if he calls fsh draw when board pairs as u appear pretty strong...looks like a fold to me

alpha i think your heart is in the right place but wtf