Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 07:25 PM

Default LO8 Preflop spot, what are standards for calling/3betting here?

This spot came up quite a few times in the 50/100 6max game I was playing last night.

Player A (unknown, first time playing with him, 'bioxu' i think, wasnt very good) would open raise in the first two spots around 40-50 percent of the time.

The guy to his right would proceed to call about 40 percent of the time and 3 bet around ten percent ('sopwith', if i remember correctly, who plays alright but I feel like I have an edge on postflop, somewhat loose player, regular).

The two players to my left in the second half of the session were both excellent O8 players, "Hakallah" or Wintermute, and Jennifer Harman (learn chat and play with the pros).

In the first half I had much weaker opponents in those seats but I don't remember all their names, 'mud_pie' was there for a bit, 'hotstuff' as well.

I was then often left on the button or in the CO with a decision whether to 3 bet hands to try to isolate the pot 3way (the two to my left were not folding preflop once they voluntarily put money in the pot) or to call and bring the blinds in. Obviously the decision to try to isolate became easier with Hak and Harman to my left, but I would like to know how people adapt their preflop based on the ranges they put the first two players on and the strength of the players to the left. GIve specific hand examples. If you call with a high only hand, how strong does it need to be?
Old 09-07-2007, 11:15 PM

Default Re: LO8 Preflop spot, what are standards for calling/3betting here?

In this particular instance, I think I find another game.

It seems like you are in a very tough position, if they are both seeing 50% or more of flops, and you hav two highly skilled opponents with position on you, i would think that you are in a spot where it will be very hard to win.

There are very few hands that I would want to play more than 3 handed here - so I would 3 bet or cap, or fold most of the time. I would see few flops in any case.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:01 PM

Default Re: LO8 Preflop spot, what are standards for calling/3betting here?

I eventually did leave this game because of those difficulties. Before Harman and Hak came it was a pretty good game. With two weaker opponents to the left are you calling and seeing flops with hands like AJJ4ss or KQQJss. There doesnt seem to be a much value in 3betting these holdings.

More flexible holdings that tend to make stronger two way hands like AQJ3 or AK34 I was 3betting regularly here because not only did they figure to be the best hand preflop, they were hands I could likely find a board to showdown on. With position if a scare card came for my hand I could also take the free card since as the agressor these two players usually let me do the betting.