Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 11:57 AM

Default PokerEV graphs... what do they mean?

i understand the luck graph mean i'm a luckbox... but can anything be learned from the other graph?
Old 09-07-2007, 12:06 PM

Default Re: PokerEV graphs... what do they mean?

Yeah, the first one shows expectation versus actuall winnings in pots where all the money went in before the river. Its an indication of wether or not you're running good/bad. You've run very good lately! My red one is still 20 % below the blue one after 300 all-in pots >_<

The other one shows:
Blue line - Your showdown winnings.
Red line - Expected showdown winnings.
When the blue line is above the red line it means you've been lucky in all-in situations, winning more than expected.

The green one is overall winnings. This one is lower than the two others because you lose money by folding before showdown. This is normal BTW. I cant remember seeing any graphs where somebody came out positive in pots that ended before showdown.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:07 PM

The fact the green line is below the blue line means you're losing money in pots that don't go to showdown. Whether this means you're chasing too many draws or folding too much I don't know.

Disclaimer: I might be completly wrong
Old 09-07-2007, 12:12 PM

PokerEV - BBV Thread
Old 09-07-2007, 12:15 PM

1st one means you´re a lucky bastard
Old 09-07-2007, 12:32 PM

The blue line shows the amount of attention being given to unimportant things, and the green line shows the amount of attention being being given to poker.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I cant remember seeing any graphs where somebody came out positive in pots that ended before showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised at this, because that's almost the definition of playing good poker. Your steals should show a profit. Your cbets should show a profit. Your bluffs should show a profit. If they don't, why do them? Shania?
Old 09-07-2007, 12:55 PM

The fact that your green line is low means that you should look at hands where you didn't go to showdown. It doesn't necessarily mean you are playing them wrong, but it means you may be losing money here (or not making as much as you can).
Old 09-07-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I cant remember seeing any graphs where somebody came out positive in pots that ended before showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised at this, because that's almost the definition of playing good poker. Your steals should show a profit. Your cbets should show a profit. Your bluffs should show a profit. If they don't, why do them? Shania?

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but it isn't just c-bets and bluffs that are reflected in the green line. Also factored in are things like money you lose to blinds, chasing draws w/ good odds but then the draw doesn't hit, and things like that. It's very common for actual winnings to be below showdown winnings for these reasons, although i have seen graphs where the lines are all about equal and a couple where the green does exceed the others.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:33 PM

Also, keep in mind that the PokerEV all-in graph doesn't really provide a complete picture of how you are running, because it doesn't factor in cooler situations.

For example, say you are dealt KK preflop five times, and each time you end up going all-in preflop. Each time you are up against AA. Let's say you lose four times and win one of those times.

According to the all-in graph, you would be running pretty much as expected. But considering the fact that each time you were dealt kings you were up against aces, most people would consider this running pretty badly. However, this wouldn't show up in the graph. This type of situational "running bad" is not reflected in PokerEV.

I remember once I had a set lose to a higher set three times within about 1000 hands. Now this is pretty awful luck if you ask me, but according to PokerEV I was running neutral.