Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which Parody is the shizznit
Queen 8 50.00%
Bowie 8 50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2007, 01:29 AM

Default Re: I disagree with Bob Ciaffone. Who is right?

[ QUOTE ]
Missed small blind is dead and that's the only scheme that makes sense to me. Otherwise you get to play your small blind from much better position without penalty.

[/ QUOTE ]

But there's already an inherent penalty in doing this: you get two less hands every round.

q/q
Old 08-22-2007, 01:33 AM

Default bob is right, just about everyone else has it wrong

Virtually every cardroom I've ever been in makes the sb dead, even if only the sb was missed. But why?

If a player misses BOTH blinds, and wants to come back in before their bb, the sb needs to be dead because if it were live the total would exceed the bb. This makes sense.

Now, what if only the sb is missed? What logical reason can their be to penalize this player by making them post a dead sb? I can't think of one. Their missed blind does not exceed the size of the minimum bet, so why should it be dead anyway? In games with only one blind a missed blind would be live, as it doesn't exceed the minimum bet. Why the extra penalty in two blind games? It doesn't make any sense and should be changed.

In many rooms, if a live straddle is allowed, then both blinds can be made up and are both live when contained in the live straddle. Again, this makes sense. About the only good thing harrahs has ever done for poker was adopt this rule for cash games during wsop (tho I'm not certain the true source of that rule).

In one room I know of, if the player comes back on the next hand after missing their sb, a missed sb can be posted inbetween, but the button skips over them. This rule is fine.

I've been in one room where the sb can be posted live. Never caused any problem. That's one that got it right. Why does everyone else have it so very wrong?

I guarantee one thing, there's a coffee/cigarette breath stiff of a nit behind the way it is now.

Al
Old 08-22-2007, 01:47 AM

Default Re: bob is right, just about everyone else has it wrong

i've only seen it dead, but i keep reading that excerpt and i interpret it as being live. i don't know how else to interpret it.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i've only seen it dead, but i keep reading that excerpt and i interpret it as being live. i don't know how else to interpret it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes that is the only way to interpret Bob's position. While it is a very good set of rules, I am not familiar with any rooms that use Robert's Rules as their rule book. I am familiar with a few rooms that use older rules that were written by Bob.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:55 AM

Wow, Los Angeles County is much tougher on a missed small blind. If you miss you need to post the BB live and the SB dead. Needless to say regular players at higher limits rarely miss the SB.

IMO fairest/best is a missed SB is posted but dead.

~ Rick

Related note: When I worked at the Bike I was able to get them to reduce the penalty for moving away from the BB (and you don't want to wait) to posting the BB only. A thread and poll I ran on 2+2 helped (essentially confirming that it would help keep players in action and you can't really get any significant advantage).

Sick thing is that to the best of my knowledge no other club in town has adopted this.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:13 AM

In our room it is live.

I can't really see much reason to make it dead. Sure the player is posting it in position, but he also forfeited his right to the button.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:13 AM

I believe this is a misunderstanding.

[ QUOTE ]
If you choose to post the total amount of the blinds

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the "live" blind case is only if you are posting both of the blinds. The rule is clarifying that only the amount of the big blind is live and that the rest is dead money. Posting only the small blind is a separate issue from the earlier quoted bits.

Or maybe I'm the one misunderstanding the discussion and this isn't at all the issue. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2007, 04:17 AM

I was about to post the same thing, pfap.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe this is a misunderstanding.

[ QUOTE ]
If you choose to post the total amount of the blinds

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the "live" blind case is only if you are posting both of the blinds. The rule is clarifying that only the amount of the big blind is live and that the rest is dead money. Posting only the small blind is a separate issue from the earlier quoted bits.

Or maybe I'm the one misunderstanding the discussion and this isn't at all the issue. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to think you are right, but I am looking at a couple of phrases in here. A player who misses any or all blinds can resume play by either posting all the blinds missed or waiting for the big blind.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:11 AM

RR,
you are right.
I have seen in a few rooms where the s/b is live though.
I think you will find a few ideas(rules) Bob has in his book are a little strange.