Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 12:23 AM

Default Results

Thanks for the analysis. Villian had split aces on 3rd. He filled up on river. I now realize once 4th was jammed calling down was best option, but much like ATL braves fans (of which I am one) I was in denial. Hopefully this thread will prevent me from making the same mistake twice. Thanks all.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Should I slow down on 5th street?

I think your best line was to call down from fourth street. Let him bluff off his money if he doesn't have trips. If you raise and he doesn't have trips, you let him get away from his hand. Calling down loses the least when you're behind, and it comes close to maximizing when you're ahead.

If he checks at any point, bet and take it from there.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think your best line was to call down from fourth street. Let him bluff off his money if he doesn't have trips. If you raise and he doesn't have trips, you let him get away from his hand. Calling down loses the least when you're behind, and it comes close to maximizing when you're ahead.

If he checks at any point, bet and take it from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the villain is agressive and prone to bluff I think Andy's advice is the best line in the long run. If the opponent is weak then get your money in right away.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:17 PM

It's a hand you can't get away from with his just calling the raise on third and another dead ace. You can't look at it and take him for trips anymore or anyless than him calling the third st. raise with a lesser pair and now aces up. Ask though why you would even raise on fourth.

If he has trip aces then you want to put in the least you can and maybe you fill up since you can't throw away trip K's like this. If he does have aces up why risk a raise scaring him off and knowing you have a set of Kings costing you more profit. The raise on fourth does not appear profitable either way. If you are ahead you might scare him out of the hand early, I mean you did raise on thrid to represent a king and now caught another, so if keen he shoudl be able to surmise you have trip kings. If he does have three aces than he is taking more money.

On fourth I think you had two choices:
1) to see where you are at, raise on fourth to find out if he has trips (again depends on the player) but if he is an astute player he would fold to your raise with Aces up, taking your raise to mean trip kings. When he raises back you get out of there though you have to get out. (I'm assuming you can doubel bet on fourth) You raise and his reraise would have taken you to the river if you just called in value (3BB) so my calling his reraise and deciding to take it to the river you will lose double now if he does have trip aces. So if you choose this plan of action to raise and see where he is act, you have to act accordingly to his response and fold on fourth.

or

2) Figure even if he has three aces you do have trip kings and decide to just call down never raising unless you fill up. If he does have just aces up you made more than if you raised on fourth because he would have folded then. If he does have trip aces you lost less than if you raised on fourth.

Basically I would have just called down from fourth street on. If he has aces up let him pay me, with trips at least i didn't give as much as you did, but knowing the play I may have made a great lay down also because like one poster said he didn't give two craps abotu your paired door card of kings and you raised, I mean did even look at your cards, hesitate. If you KNOW you have trip K to trip A you have a 15% chance to win and should just fold, but that is from the read of your player.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:19 PM

Everyone who is advocating calling down with bricks from Fourth, what is your plan UI if he checks to us on the river? If you say bet, then we fold to a check-raise, right? If you say check behind, you are losing your opportunity to make up for the extra bet a cap on Four would give you.

I think one bet on Fourth isn't enough with the second nuts.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone who is advocating calling down with bricks from Fourth, what is your plan UI if he checks to us on the river? If you say bet, then we fold to a check-raise, right? If you say check behind, you are losing your opportunity to make up for the extra bet a cap on Four would give you.

I think one bet on Fourth isn't enough with the second nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not LHE, the nuts are staring us straight in the face.

there's also no particular reason not to fold to a river CR unimproved (in fact, if he's looking past his own cards he should be check/calling 3 aces on the river too, so it's not like we're even missing much value by checking).