Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 12:51 PM

Default Re: standard pot control in position?

I think that raising Kx against shorties is not profitable in long run. Basically short stacks will play pots for their stack with basically any piece (especially TP) making it difficult to play Kx. You dont have alot of room to manuver with this hand against them. If there is a King on the flop, your married to it after they raise the CB with a super wide range of which alot of it will beat Kx. A shorties calling range is generally going to be better than Kx.

So preflop I dump this hand as well. Your better off doing it with 67 or some other connector that you can get away from when faced with resistance. This hand was dangerous enough that you didnt lose any more money with it.

I think once you get looked up on the flop in this hand, it looks standard checking turn, and folding river.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:04 PM

you have a shortstack on the button. if he calls you're OOP with K8s, not a good spot to be in. your implied odds suck with K8s in general, but really suck with shorties. against shortstacks big cards are the way to go, but here you don't really have that with K8s - what flop are you hoping for? 88x? that happens like 1% of the time. K8x? another 1%. Flush draw? about 10% and you don't make enough when you hit against shortstacks and you could be against a better flush draw. Top pair? you have a crap kicker. Plus, your ability to steal postflop (c-bets or on turn if he checks) goes down significantly against shortstacks.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:09 PM

Such a blind hate for Kxs. Worse would be to nit it up and never learn anything. Kxs can play well, flushdraws and K is an interesting card. You must know thy enemy though, TAG's calling range doesn't include many Kx combinations, he reraises AK and folds KJ, at least some of them. Against donks it plays worse but given your postflop edge I think its reasonable anyway.

More thoughts: Now you can't win against top pair worse kicker with Kx. Your image has to be aggressive enough so that villains will call with worse than top pair.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Such a blind hate for Kxs. Worse would be to nit it up and never learn anything. Kxs can play well, flushdraws and K is an interesting card. You must know thy enemy though, TAG's calling range doesn't include many Kx combinations, he reraises AK and folds KJ, at least some of them. Against donks it plays worse but given your postflop edge I think its reasonable anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its going extreme calling a shorties tags and being able to say that they fold KJ etc. Not saying you cant make a profit with these type hands, but its definately not as valuable as you make it out to seem. The hands your describing (flushes etc) are ment to win big pots since they dont come around as often. You are not going to win a big pot with short stacks and if you pick up a draw like such, you most likely wont have the odds to draw for it.

Your comment stated against donks it plays worse. How many TAG regulars do you find grinding with $10.00 stacks at NL25? I lean towards most short stacks being donkish etc rather than taggish. IMO
Old 08-12-2007, 10:19 AM

Guru is a sex magnet.