Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 07-25-2007, 07:46 PM

Default Re: A question about Pool (Billirds).

All,

I find it a little hard to believe those of you saying "1" have ever played pool before in a bar or pool hall.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

I find it a little hard to believe those of you saying "1" have ever played pool before in a bar or pool hall.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 1 is the "official" rule, even though it's probably never played that way in casual competition.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:48 PM

I'm surprised ball in hand is the correct answer for 8-ball. I always thought it was behind that one mark, which apparently according to El D is called the "head string". I thought ball in hand was a 9-ball rule.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:50 PM

I'm barely a recreational pool player so I, honestly, had no idea before looking it up but was pretty sure it was one of the three options I listed in the OP. Thanks for weighing in on this, everyone.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:50 PM

It's #3 in most bars, but usually some local will know if the rule is different.

Most bars never do ball-in-hand for 8-ball.

Everyone understands there really is no such thing as rules to bar pool outside the local custom at that bar right? Lol at the idea of bringing up Wikipedia in your next bar pool dispute.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:51 PM

Jasper,

"I think 1 is the "official" rule"

You are wrong. It is also weird that you wrote that after quoting my post with BCA rules cited.

FWIW, here are IPT rules:

"d. If a player scratches or jumps the cue ball so that it comes to rest off the playing surface of the table while playing the eight ball, it is a loss of game. Not making a legal hit on the eight ball, but leaving the cue ball on the table, is a Ball in Hand foul- not an automatic loss of game."

http://www.internationalpooltour.com...es/default.asp

You do know that anyone can edit Wikipedia, right?
Old 07-25-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised ball in hand is the correct answer for 8-ball. I always thought it was behind that one mark, which apparently according to El D is called the "head string". I thought ball in hand was a 9-ball rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've never played ball-in-hand in 8-ball. Only behind the line (or head string or whatever) on scratches.

BTW, I've seen both scratch and play on in this situation. However, I tend to see play on because I'm usually playing with people who make an attempt at the ball instead of being a dick and taking other shots.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jasper,

"I think 1 is the "official" rule"

You are wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

There may be an "official rule" in bar pool, but it never ever ever matters. Ever. Local custom trumps all.

A prime example would be if you make one solid on the break - are you solids or is it still open. I've played pool in at least 200 bars in my life and it's roughly split down the middle.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:55 PM

DKS, tuq:

While ball-in-hand is definitely the rule for many 8-ball situations, I can't think of any bar game I've played where it was ball in hand - it's always ball in hand behind the head string.

However, many pool hall 8-ball games are played with official ball-in-hand rules.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:55 PM

dear god.

This thread is a perfect example of why you should always confirm whatever rules you're playing under if there's anything at stake.

Bar rules are often not even close to real rules; anything from "omg you miscue, GAME OVER" to "HAHAHA SCRATCH ON BREAK YOU LOSE".

This case its an obvious table scratch. Then, as Diablo said, its either ball in hand if you're playing that way, or in the 'kitchen'. None of this matters tho if people are playing with rules they have in their heads without checking with each other...

btw tuq, ball in hand is often the result of a scratch in amateur leagues like APA and BCA, but often NOT a rule when playing in a bar setting...