Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 07-22-2007, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion thread (SPOILERS)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ill start...What did yall think of the epilogue? It was probably the only part of the book i was disappointed with...I mean heck after 750+ pages..She couldnt extend it out another 20 or so to give us a real "where are they now" situation. I wanted to confirm that Harry and Ginny and Ron/Hermione ended up together but I also would have liked to know what else was going to happen.

I mean lets be honest. Harry wasnt going to ever just lead a normal life, but JK made it sound like he was just a plain old person.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have liked to know what happened to the Death Eaters after Voldemort died. Did they all go to Azkaban? Also, did the climax completely kill off the dark magic movement or would they have just gone underground?

I would have liked to learn more about whether there would still be any sort of fight afterward or even on the horizon. I guess Malfoy acknowledging them is maybe a sign of concession but he sort of came out as being all talk and not much of a dark wizard anyway. Maybe a line about Harry vowing to fight it wherever it was would have been good.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of Voldermort's team was completely surronded. With him 100% dead, those who made it out of Hogwarts alive would be hunted down.

Can a Dementor die BTW?
Old 07-22-2007, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have said this some other places but I think it would have been very cool to end the book after chapter 34 (Kings Cross).

Instead they went with an incredibly cliche and cheesy ending, which while not unexpected, was a bit disappointing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ending it right after Chapter 34 would have been horrible. Although with a little clean-up after it would have been a good ending. Leave Neville killing the Snake and the whole end battle (slightly-modified since Harry's dead), then end with Ron/Hermione/Ginny drinking to Harry's memory and work in a bit of the overall state of the world. Since the Ginny/Harry relationship was slightly understated it wouldn't have been horrible to have Harry die. After book 6 it was fairly obvious that Ron or Hermione couldn't be killed since it would have been pretty lame.

That being said I like the ending. I'm a sucker for that though. The epilogue could have been better, but I don't mind not knowing about the details of death eaters and stuff. We can assume that what happened after Harry survived the first time happened again.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:35 PM

this book needed more plot-integral hermione nude scenes IMO

I thought the epilogue was purposefully sparse to allow the fans to imagine what happens while purposefully closing the door on anyone else writing a sequel.

JK Rowling is a smart woman
Old 07-22-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ill start...What did yall think of the epilogue? It was probably the only part of the book i was disappointed with...I mean heck after 750+ pages..She couldnt extend it out another 20 or so to give us a real "where are they now" situation. I wanted to confirm that Harry and Ginny and Ron/Hermione ended up together but I also would have liked to know what else was going to happen.

I mean lets be honest. Harry wasnt going to ever just lead a normal life, but JK made it sound like he was just a plain old person.

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed completely. After an amazing book she tries to wrap everything up way too neatly. I guess after traumatizing little kids with the ridiculous amount of violence (I love the Reservoir Dogs style ear chopping!!!) she needed to end it semi-happily.
Also, the line that Mrs. Weasley screams at the end was exactly like the end of the movie "Aliens"....and I think I had the same gleeful reaction
Old 07-22-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The epilogue closed the door on "More Harry!" type stuff. I liked it for that purpose, it brought finality both internally and externally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and no; it also obviously opens doors for the next generation to go off to Hogwarts, if anybody cares to play that game.

I actually liked the happy ending, for the most part. I think it just fits much better with what the series was than the alternative where Harry dies. As for those complaining that not enough central people got killed, that seems like a bizarre complaint to me. I don't feel that it really cheapens things that she kept the core three alive - I thought Fred, Dobby and Hedwig dying were all bummers to various degrees. The epilogue sucked, I agree. The Onion's AV Club reminded me of Rowling's claim that the last chapter had been written for years, and also points out how totally believable it is, given how saccharine and spiceless it is.

EDIT: I would have liked more Snape, though the memory he gives Harry was pretty cool.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:00 PM

I thought this was an amazing book, although I agree the middle dragged on. But what a [censored] rollercoaster the end was. I mean [censored] Snape, and I was beside myself when I thought Dumbledore had [censored] Harry over. I just finished it like 5 minutes ago and am just stunned.

Also on people dying what about Lupin, Tonks, and Mad-Eye besides Fred, Dobby, and Hedwig.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I thought this was an amazing book, although I agree the middle dragged on.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you people thinking? The middle + the scene where Harry is walking into the woods with the ghost are the payoff of the entire series!
Old 07-22-2007, 11:09 PM

Are you referring to his parents and sirious and lupin?

If so I don't consider that the middle because that was an awesome awesome part.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:16 PM

Yeah I am not sure either...though let me say that that I by no means think the middle was bad...It just seemed like a lot of inaction. I didnt hate the middle..just felt like it was a lull type session before the big battles
Old 07-22-2007, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I am not sure either...though let me say that that I by no means think the middle was bad...It just seemed like a lot of inaction. I didnt hate the middle..just felt like it was a lull type session before the big battles

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically, the first 6 books show us how Harry gained magical knowledge, personal understanding, friends, the D.A., the Order, popular support, etc., all to help him fight Voldemort. Then, gradually, he has to leave all his friends, Ron splits, his wand breaks, he doesn't know what he's doing, he loses all of his supports. But then Ron comes back, Snape pitches in, Dobby helps, Aberfort plays a role. It shows just how far he's come, and, significantly, how important the things are that Voldemort doesn't understand (non-humans, friendship, family.) It's huge. And the tone is amazing. The fight between Harry and Lupin is fantastic.