Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 09:49 PM

Default People and things that infuriate you way LESS than they should

There's an OOT thread that's a fun idea by a good poster, and I thought I'd do a twist on it and make it "Lounge style."

The opposite of this thread

What are some people or things that make you LESS angry than you think they fairly should? Put another way, what are you proud, amazed, or mystified at not popping someone in the nose for, at least in your mind anyway?

One for me is sending back my fast food crapburgers two or three times because they ALWAYS, no matter where I go, mess up the "no mayonnaise" part. Here's my order:

Dude: What would you like? [Depending on personnel, alternates randomly with blank fish-like stare.]
Me: Three whoppers please, no mayonnaise on any of them. That's all.
Dude: Would you like cheese?
Me: No thanks.
Dude: Would you like something to drink or some fries?
Me: No, that's all right.
Dude: For here or to go?
Me: To go.
Dude: So that's a whopper with no mayo. That's $1.79. [rings it up]
Me: No, I wanted three of them. [holds up fingers] No mayo on the others, either.
Dude: Three?
Me: Yes, three.
Dude [cycles through the program so he can ring me up again]: What you want on the other ones?
Me: No mayo, but give me everything else.
Dude: Two with no mayo...
Me: ALL of them with no mayo. All three.
Dude[looks at me like I'm batsh*t crazy]: To go?
Me: Yes, to go.

Burgers come. I open them up to look before walking back to the office with them. Two have mayo, one doesn't. I send those two back. Quite often, they come back funny -- one still with mayo, now there's no ketchup or lettuce and tomato, whatever.

Now I think I'm entitled to be annoyed and probably even show it at several points here. I rarely show it. I think I'm so used to counter clerks being completely zoned out that I don't expect good service in the first place. I've lowered my expectations so much that even minimal competence seems well above what I expect.

Anything you bump into on your wanderings over the earth that you get less annoyed or pissed off about than you used to, or than maybe you should?
Old 06-27-2007, 10:03 PM

Default Re: People and things that infuriate you way LESS than they should

im really surprised you sent them back
Old 06-27-2007, 10:59 PM

Bad drivers

Bad beats in poker
Old 06-27-2007, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Burgers come. I open them up to look before walking back to the office with them. Two have mayo, one doesn't. I send those two back. Quite often, they come back funny -- one still with mayo, now there's no ketchup or lettuce and tomato, whatever.

Now I think I'm entitled to be annoyed and probably even show it at several points here. I rarely show it. I think I'm so used to counter clerks being completely zoned out that I don't expect good service in the first place. I've lowered my expectations so much that even minimal competence seems well above what I expect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha! This made me laugh. I feel your pain about the incompetent counter clerks. Where I work there's a Taco Bell that is the absolute worst of all fast food places. They get my order wrong EVERY time. I've grown accustomed to it. In fact, they seem to get everyone's order wrong. I've watched other customers come storming up to the counter to yell at them. I used to get kind of pissy about it myself but lately, for some reason, I've been taking it all in stride. Even when I have to park my car, get out, walk around to the front and come inside. I patiently wait in line to inform the fat lady that they have given me chicken soft tacos with absolutely nothing on them except for chicken (again). "Wha? You didn't want it like that, just chicken?" "Um no," I say politely. "No I really did not. I wanted the tomatoes and ranchero sauce too, please." (I'm very well behaved these days.) Course in my head I'm thinking Jesus Christ how hard can this be people! There are 9 year olds who could perform this task.

Another thing that I'm proud of... someone with a giant bike rack backed right into my car and put a huge dent in it. A cavernous dent. I remained unbelievably calm. I felt like we were in a comedy skit. Poor guy, he was really apologetic. I felt sorta bad for him. He looked like he could use a hug.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:27 AM

Good job! It's hard not to get pretty peeved when someone messes up your car. It can be kind of a heartbreaker.

I'd like to think that life is easier and better when you cut people some slack. Screwing up is something I can handle and relate to. What pisses me off is when it seems like life is easier and better if you lower your standards. Then sometimes it seems you can't lower them fast or far enough, the world is outpacing you. And living with low standards is a lot more to ask of someone than just not making a big deal out of your occasional screw-ups.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:53 AM

For me, it's not about service, it's about money. When my bank adds a few minor charges to my "free" checking account, I don't even blink. When I actually READ my phone bill, and see how many companies and government agencies have their hands out, I just shrug and pay.

[ QUOTE ]
What pisses me off is when it seems like life is easier and better if you lower your standards. Then sometimes it seems you can't lower them fast or far enough, the world is outpacing you. And living with low standards is a lot more to ask of someone than just not making a big deal out of your occasional screw-ups.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I knew the author of this quote:

Mediocrity is the new standard of excellence.

It's so true. No matter what service you're after, as long as they don't screw something up, you're delighted with the "great service" you got.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:24 AM

I get way less annoyed than is reasonable by helpdesks manned by people who have accents so thick you can't understand them, and who seem to have very little grasp of what I'm telling them cos (A) English isn't easy for them, and (B) it diverges from their troubleshooting script.

They are a force of nature, not to be fought because they are unfightable, but to be ridden out, is my reasoning.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:08 AM

I wish I could say the same. I'm ashamed to admit that I get pretty annoyed by people on the phone with thick accents. I know I shouldn't. Of course if it were a British accent now that would be a different thing altogether. That would probably get me laughing.

I just thought of another thing that should really infuriate me but doesn't ruffle my calm nature. Paying my utility bill. It seems to have practically doubled and yet, while other people around me are all up in arms over the fact, I seem to roll over and accept it as if they have done me some sort of benevolent favor.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:15 AM

This is way off topic, but I've noticed it: service in the US is far inferior to what I get here in Canada. I can count on one hand the number of times in my life I've had an order at a fast food place screwed up.

When I've been to the States, the waiters & waitresses have been surly, unapologetic and basically useless, and that's pretty universal. I remember one case where we gave a waitress a credit card, and she was gone under a minute, and claimed it would not authorize. We paid cash, called the bnak, and they said no transactions had been attempted.

Anyway, back on topic: transit delays don't bother me. I take the subway & a commuter train, and there's pretty regular delays, especially on the commuter train. Car accidents, medical emergencies, breakdowns in the winter. Doesn't bother me in the least. I have a nap or read my book, while everyone around me is freaking out about being 20 minutes late getting home.

Traffic delays enrage me, though. I hate sitting in my car while idiots act like idiots on the highway. <- This could fully explain my lack of anger at transit issues. It's soooo much better than the alternative.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:01 PM

Ok, I'm going out on a very skinny limb here.... Paris Hilton.