Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life

Old 07-01-2007, 01:30 AM

Default Re: should I take the AP calc test?

Not sure, I doubt it. I didn't take the AP exams, but didn't have too much difficulty with Calc 1 & 2 in college. I think it's just a matter of attending class and doing the homework like anything else, but my roommate failed to do these [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2007, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Take the test and ace it, so you don't have to re-take them in college. My roommate my freshman year could've taken Calc 3 his first semester because he got credit for Calc 1 and 2 via the AP exam. Instead of just going directly into Calc 3 though, he chose to start in Calc 2 and ended up failing it, and had to re-take it again the following semester [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
are the AP exams really that much easier then taking the class in college?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

I brought in ~50 AP credits, and every single time I have had the opportunity to compare the AP exam difficulty (or the coursework of the equivalent high school class) with the college version, the college version is always much more difficult.

And its not because you are missing out on important material with the AP test compared to the college class, but instead you run into stuff like brutal curves in intro level classes to weed people out (my psych class: max of 5% As)

Calc I and II are the most failed/dropped classes on my campus.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Take the test and ace it, so you don't have to re-take them in college. My roommate my freshman year could've taken Calc 3 his first semester because he got credit for Calc 1 and 2 via the AP exam. Instead of just going directly into Calc 3 though, he chose to start in Calc 2 and ended up failing it, and had to re-take it again the following semester [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
are the AP exams really that much easier then taking the class in college?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

I brought in ~50 AP credits, and every single time I have had the opportunity to compare the AP exam difficulty (or the coursework of the equivalent high school class) with the college version, the college version is always much more difficult.

And its not because you are missing out on important material with the AP test compared to the college class, but instead you run into stuff like brutal curves in intro level classes to weed people out (my psych class: max of 5% As)

Calc I and II are the most failed/dropped classes on my campus.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well I didn't take AP classes in high school and now I regret it. Calc I was a breeze but Calc II was pretty difficult, seemed liked quite a few people dropped it because the class was pretty full at the beginning of the year and by the time the final rolled around I would say 30-40% of those people were gone.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:24 PM

APs are way easier. The curves on some AP tests are incredibly generous. Plus, there's downside. If you fail an AP, it doesn't affect your GPA. If you fail a class, ouch.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:41 AM

My answer before looking at any part of this thread:

Why the hell would you take an AP class and NOT take the test? Passing out of a semester's worth of classes was the best thing I've done in my college career. Just because you get a 5 on an AP exam doesn't mean you'd get an A in a college calc course, the AP test is way easier than college courses, plus the calc BC exam does not cover all of college's Calc 2 class.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:14 AM

The ap tests were a while ago...i ended up taking them.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:24 AM

i got a 5 on ab and a 4 on bc calc tests, and b/c i was doing engineering it passed me out of nothing. I got a b- in the class in college, in part because of lack of effort and in part because they covered slightly different stuff.

on a side note, i dropped out of engineering for biology, and if i'd entered the school as biology i would've gotten like 12 math credits or something. oh well.