Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2007, 02:14 PM

Default TT turn play

Full Tilt 3/6, 5 handed, no read on villain

UTG opens, everyone folds to hero in the BB who holds T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and 3bets, villain calls.

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero bets, villain calls

Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero?
Old 03-17-2007, 02:28 PM

Default Re: TT turn play

Bets. If raised you call. If you hit a jack or a ten (not diamond) you checkraise on river. If blank it I check/call river with no read. If diamond falls I check/fold.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:32 PM

bet you get value out of a lot of flushdraws A9 A8 etc but checking with the intention of c/c any river might be possible too?
Old 03-17-2007, 09:12 PM

I didn't know what to do, so I checked and folded.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:14 PM

i dont think its bad
Old 03-17-2007, 09:46 PM

Your chances of being ahead aren't really all that good, your outs are sketchy, and getting raised here would kind of suck, since you probably don't really have the odds to chase against Villain's raising range but you will sometimes have a full 6 outs.

Check-calling is kind of asking to be taken to Valuetown, although you will occasionally be up against 7d7h or AdJc or something and induce a semibluff.

Check-folding induces a bluff or semibluff and then rewards those plays.

In short, you have no good options.

I think I'm leaning toward either a check-fold or a check-call (I can't decide which I prefer). One annoying thing is that the river will again be awkward if you check-call the turn, but, like I said, I don't see any good choices.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:23 AM

Here's a mental dump of why I prefer check-calling in light of Nick C's excellent reply.

- The flop action makes it harder to put villain on a high queen or two diamonds. TT rates to be ahead of a good portion his range: not enough to bet, but certainly more than the fraction needed to continue past the turn.
- Checking the turn keeps more of his peeling range interested and induces autobets. A turn check should bring semibluffs galore, as well as misplaced protection bets from stuff like A9 and 77.
- Yes, a borderline river decision awaits, but you only face it when a non-diamond non-ace falls and he bets.
- Typing "lol u got served" in the chatbox after spiking a dirty out you didn't nearly have odds to draw to could put him on a sort of mating squirrel tilt.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:59 AM

I don't like giving up, there are plenty of worse hands out there. I would just bet/fold the turn. Without a read I don't want to check/call and risk giving a free card.