Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

View Poll Results: Check or push
Check 3 15.00%
Push 17 85.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Re: In what order should my child watch the Star Wars movies?

esad, I thought 3 was tremendous and on par with some of the originals...(okay maybe SLIGHTLY below)...Then again, I had looked forward to the Vader/ObiWan lava fight ever since I heard they were making prequels.

I found out about the fight by reading the back of my Kenner action figures. I was amazed by that. I thought it sounded so cool. Then came word of prequels..oh boy. And oddly enough, I thought the fight scene lived up to my expectations.

Agreed 1 and 2 are a little less than stellar. But they serve their purpose (the development of Anakin).
Old 01-30-2007, 04:20 PM

The poll is 21 to 0 for original.

And that's the obvious answer. When prequels are made, they're really meant to be seen after the original(s). There are often "insider" references in prequels. Artistically I think it would be difficult to make a prequel that should truly be seen before the original.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:31 PM

I haven't voted yet as I'm unsure.

I think the reason that many of us think that Episode I sucks is because we're of the mindset that A New Hope was one of the best movies of all time. Episode I is pretty similar, therefore it's a copy, therefore it sucks.

However, Episode IV is now thirty years old, and although it hasn't dated badly, Episode I does have better effects whether we like it or not. The fact that C3PO pwns JarJarDonks so incredibly hard as an annoying but likeable character is not neccessarily a factor.

That being said, they were intended to be watched 4,5,6,1,2,3 or he wouldn't have made them in that order in the first place. It's generally a good idea to go with what the guy who made the movies wants you to see.

Lori
Old 01-30-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a) the "I am your father" revelation is greatly diminished going chronologically

[/ QUOTE ]

You also lose out on the subtle references and ironies in 1-3 by not knowing this.

Lori
Old 01-31-2007, 12:11 PM

the real question is, what order should she read the narnia books [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

who knew?

...and add a vote for 4-6 first, b/c (as already said) 1-3 have references back to the original trilogy, but not vice-versa. regardless, i think she'll like 1-3 fine...kids seemed happier w/them than adults did...
Old 01-31-2007, 12:26 PM

My view is 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6. This way both major surprises are kept hidden: Darth Vader is Luke's father, and Chancellor Palpatine is the Emperor.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:48 PM

I vote for old school order...Jar Jar may ruin her interest all together if he's shown first. Agreed that showing 1-3 first would ruin the Darth Vader - Luke thing and the identity of the Emperor.

ScottieK
Old 01-31-2007, 12:54 PM

defenitly 4-6 1-3 but this is quite a fun question lol
Old 01-31-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the real question is, what order should she read the narnia books [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

who knew?

...and add a vote for 4-6 first, b/c (as already said) 1-3 have references back to the original trilogy, but not vice-versa. regardless, i think she'll like 1-3 fine...kids seemed happier w/them than adults did...

[/ QUOTE ]

People who think you should read the Narnia books in chronological order are really dumb. Almost always, knowledge of the originals enhances your experience of prequels and you're supposed to be familiar with the originals.

Who cares if in book 6 they create the stupid wardrobe? You're meant to already know about the wardrobe when you later read about it's creation - otherwise why would you care?

This timeline crap would be like if some idiot group of Lost fans decided to start editing the flashbacks out separately from the island stuff to make one long chronological story, and then insisting that that's how it's SUPPOSED to be watched.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:58 PM

I am a die hard Star Wars fan, and my 4 year old son is beginning to watch/enjoy Star Wars. FWIW, he hasn't even SEEN episodes 1-3. Also, it is my opinion that the new prequals actually offer very little in terms of elaborating on the episodes 4-6. To me, the two trilogies are so disjointed from each other that I consider them two separate trilogies altogether.