Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2007, 01:24 PM

Default 66 Hand

Bodog 4/8, good game

UTG calls, I raise with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], the CO 3bets and we all call

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG checks, Hero checks, CO bets, UTG raises, Hero now 3bets, both call.

Turn (9BB): 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG checks, Hero bets, CO folds, UTG calls

River (11BB) : 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG check-raises, Hero folds.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:46 PM

Default Re: 66 Hand

This looks spewy as hell without giving us any reads to go on.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:52 PM

PF: Just call, go for set.

FAP: fold OMG

TAP: whatever

RAP: check through.

After hand: Get off table. Take break.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:53 PM

I'd prefer donking the flop for protection instead of pot-building. If it's two back to me on the flop I probably ditch it.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:10 PM

Pre-flop is OK as op described this as a good game and from this position we can probably fold out the blinds and represent a big hand. Also, UTG looks like the weak one as he open limped.

Flop is perfect for us and pot is big, problem is UTG check/raised, if you think he'll fold like 77 / 88 on the turn this might be OK. And even if he doesn't fold 7 7 we can probably just invest one more bet on the turn and be done. I actually don't mind the flop 3 bet because if CO caps we're done and he dumps AK here a lot.

Turn - Yes, bet, make CO fold AK / AQ and 10 10.

River - If UTG check raised this flop and open limped it's either with overcards or a lower pair I guess, a read would help here.

Disclaimer - I fold this flop without much thought but I think it's closer than people think - if I was CO I'd have difficulty playing even JJ here . . . a lot depends on UTG and what kind of range he has. PF is fine, turn's a must, and river I'm pretty clueless b/c I can't play this way.

If you don't mind investing 3 small bets on the flop and dumping the turn or river this is actually fine. We're investing 3 - 5 small bets to win at least 15. Does this work 5:1? CO holds AK / AQ appx. this percentage, and if we can trust UTG to dump 77 / 88 then fine I guess.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:25 PM

fwiw I thought I played this hand well until the river where I made a terrible play by not checking behind. As I said this was a "good game."
Old 01-06-2007, 05:32 PM

I like the flop raise. I'd usually donk the flop here, call a raise and reevaluate on the turn.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:23 PM

Flop actually looks close as UTG could easily have a lower pockets or something like A2, and 9x usually don't play like this. I would ditch it in the heat of battle because it feels like a spew, but I don't think 3 balling is terrible.

I like the river bet as that river card didn't change anything unless he has 88, or unless he's a maniac with 8x or something. Once he raises not many hands make sense. 88 is one, 98 highly discounted is another. Maybe flopped trips that decided to fastplay the flop but then slowplay when they got 3 bet.. Seems unlikely. I wonder how often we're good on the river.

I don't think I gaybet enough but the flop might be a good time for it.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the flop raise. I'd usually donk the flop here, call a raise and reevaluate on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with donking the flop is that it kind of screams - "I have a mediocre hand and I want UTG to go away!"

So on that level it kind of encourages UTG to carry on to the river if CO calls our gaybet, and if CO raises we have to play passively and usually pay at least 2 BB's plus 1 more small bet to to get to showdown, and are usually behind.

I don't know the best line if we check, CO bets, and UTG calls, or even if he folds, but I think it ends up being more aggressive and makes all participants in the hand a little more wary of our presence in the hand.