Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-06-2006, 11:40 AM

Default The future of limit poker

It's interesting that over the period of time that I spent learning limit hold 'em, NL cash games steadily rose in popularity to the point where no one really plays limit anymore. Plenty of limit players have made the switch to NL, and I'm sure that number will continue to grow. What does that mean for us and our game? Are the fish going to follow suit? Or are we always going to have loose games, just fewer to choose from?

In the past two weeks I've started studying NL, by reading the book and playing the baby NL. I'm a "winning fish" in these games. It's so interesting to play NL because I can really feel the difference of playing a hand for it's implied odds than for it's actual worth, like we do in limit. I believe that this week's NL play has already seeped into my limit hame, making me a better player. It's like I have a better sense for when to fold.

Anyway, I'm happy to start this NL journey, partly because I think I'll be a better NL player due to my limit experience, and vice versa. So far, I prefer limit. I like the quick pace and not having to size your bets and raises. NL is pretty boring to me, but maybe that's just cuz I'm nut-peddling fish with a penchant for going all in with hands that can only get called by better hands. But I think the more I learn, the more I'll enjoy it.

I intend on playing both games, unlike others who appear to only want to play one or the other.

What do yous all think about this recent poker trend?
Old 12-06-2006, 11:43 AM

Default Re: The future of limit poker

i [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] limit hold 'em and would probably rather play against great competition than play NL against retards.

especially HU.

bbbushu
Old 12-06-2006, 11:51 AM

mutliple games ftw. I'm trying to pick up NL though, I'm off to a bumpy start but I want to be good at both games. (probably more ones too once I have a decent grasp of NL, probably continue playing PLO8, or maybe PLO)
Old 12-06-2006, 11:55 AM

Last month I really tried to learn NL, but I just don't enjoy playing it. FWIW, when I first started playing I played NL home tournies, and my first main game online were SNGs. I had a bad downswing so I decided to learn NL ring to rebuild for the following reasons:
Less variance
More $/100 for the same bankroll requirements
Probably a better long term game
I did okay, variance got the best of me though and I lost a lot when I got it in good. Despite all of this, I just don't enjoy it. I love limit far too much, especially shorthanded. I know the games are pretty much always getting worse so I intend to continue learning NL somewhat. I'll continue my reading and browsing the NL forums, though for the forseeable future, my play will be shorthanded [and maybe hu, soon enough] limit.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:57 AM

I've probably played 20k hands online and about 100 hrs live of NL - much much more limit experience. I just enjoy limit much more. I love the low stress, and being able to play middle pair like it's the nuts.

[ QUOTE ]
especially HU.

[/ QUOTE ]

we need another HULA
Old 12-06-2006, 12:19 PM

jba,

i totally agree! [ QUOTE ]
we need another micro-HULA so n00bs can afford it

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
bbbbbbbushu blew it in finals
Old 12-06-2006, 02:06 PM

I've tried to play NL. it's so boring. blah, blah , blah, BIG HAND, blah, blah, blah. SH limit you are constantly involved.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've tried to play NL. it's so boring. blah, blah , blah, BIG HAND, blah, blah, blah. SH limit you are constantly involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much exactly how I feel.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:26 PM

I'm not enjoying NL a all but I think it is extremely profitable so eventually I have to switch. I think playing shorthanded limit is an excellent training ground though.
The small-stakes no-limit players aren't used to aggression which means you can pick up many pots with a flop bet because everybody is waiting for their big hands.
These pots gets your floating until you catch your big hands. It's also much easier to take advantage of the tight players in a No-limit game than in a shorthanded limit game.
The 10 hours I played NL 0,5-1 was the most boring hours I've spent playing poker despite me having an astronomic hourly winrate comparing to shorthanded limit.
But the fact is table selecting 5/10 limit isn't nearly as easy as 1/2 No limit and I'm afraid that limit poker is dying.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:46 PM

The death of limit poker is overrated. Especially with good rakeback deals.