Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2006, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Luxor Ruling

Luxor sucks anyway, no loss.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:39 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

he complained about getting tipped a dollar? ugh.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he complained about getting tipped a dollar? ugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, times change. I remember years ago in Las Vegas tipping the cocktail waitress a dollar and the local rocks next to me told me to only tip 50 cents otherwise they get spoiled. Instead I would order a drink and a water or coffee back and still tip a dollar.

~ Rick
Old 11-14-2006, 04:12 PM

you mucked? idiot move. call a floor man if he complains about a tip next time.

announce your all in, if you were not 100% sure and he announced it, how would you feel if you were bound to it?

floorman is an ass that probably is friends with dealer
Old 11-14-2006, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Iedit to add: This is also why traditionally the NL rule has been that you can continue to bet until your hands come to rest outside the betting area. I think I am fighting a losing battle as it appears that all the places that are new to spreading NL are using the limit rule, but the traditional NL rule is far superior as it avoids situations like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting away from Howard's situation for a moment (obviously he got screwed) I think there is good reason that modern NL rooms are going in the direction of "all chips must be bet raised in one motion" or "clearly announce the size of your bet/raise".

Under the traditional method there are too many situations where an inexperienced and low paid floor is put in a spot to make difficult judgement calls regarding the facts. And the fact is players in LA were (and still are) using all sorts of minor hesitations with chip movement into the pot, sometimes because they are sloppy and sometimes because they are trying an angle.

Anyway, my understanding is at least the Commerce and Bike are moving toward the "all in one motion" rule.

~ Rick
Old 11-14-2006, 04:20 PM

Howard or other Las Vegas players:

In a small room like this isn't there someone above the floor you can appeal to?

~ Rick
Old 11-14-2006, 04:22 PM

I stayed at the Luxor last time I was in Vegas, and never again. The floor people were the rudest and grumpiest I have ever dealt with. The rules were not being enforced by the dealers, and it was quite obvious that some of the regulars were shooting angles. The games were soft, but the place just had a depressing feel. Life is too short to be playing low stakes poker in a place like this.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Howard or other Las Vegas players:

In a small room like this isn't there someone above the floor you can appeal to?

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

No, in a small Vegas room the floor is also the shift supervisor. One could talk to someone like the director of table games (after the fact), but they are not in poker and generally know very little about it.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:36 PM

No doubt the Luxor is [censored] up -

AB
Old 11-14-2006, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, in a small Vegas room the floor is also the shift supervisor. One could talk to someone like the director of table games (after the fact), but they are not in poker and generally know very little about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with SlimP that the floor behaved fine.

This is a case where I would have told the floor that I needed to see his manager. I would have played out the hand, done my best to stay calm, cashed out, and waited for the floor's boss. Then I want to hear why it is acceptable for the floor to behave that way from his boss. It is the floor's job to gather all of the facts, listen to all sides...even if the guy has already made up his mind, he needs to be polite about it, and letting all involved parties tell their side of the story is pretty damned important to maintaining the perception, at least, of fairness.

And I've only ever played at Luxor once. Once was enough. Haven't been back in a couple years and it doesn't sound like anything has improved.

Also a good demonstration of reason #17 Why Betting Lines Suck.