Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 10-27-2007, 08:33 AM

Default Backwards or forwards?

Through some weird event (which we don't have to take into consideration what is) you are facing the choice of having to travel between 75 and 3000 years either backwards or forward in time to the destination of your desire on this planet.

Assume the danger of paradoxes, changing the present or other horrible events don't have to be taken into consideration. We'll assume you'll automatically gain any needed language skills.

Which direction do you choose, what number of years do you choose, where do you choose and what is the reasoning behind your choices?
Old 10-27-2007, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Backwards or forwards?

3000 years forward. I'd say only reason why not is if you think we will somehow destroy outselves by then which seems really unlikely.

Only reason I'd go 75 years backwards is to get rich but I think it would be boring knowing what was going to happen in the news and I wouldn't like not having modern transportation, medicine, technology, etc.. You could also probably be a pretty popular guy if u are a world war 2 buff.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:37 PM

3000 forward, you could have a shot at great power/fame if you went back, but your quality of life would still suck (and you probably wouldn't be able to secure antibiotics or anything). 75 is a tougher question - I'd go forward because I think technology will probably move along and I'd find that very interesting, though 75 years back would allow for power/wealth/fame.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:38 PM

3000 forward, baby!
Old 10-28-2007, 08:30 PM

I was pondering that if I went forward I'd be like a 'caveman', understanding nothing of the society I entered. If I went backwards at least I'd have rudimentary understanding of society around me and some usable skills.

ponder...
Old 10-28-2007, 09:32 PM

75 years ago. You may find youself all alone should you jump 3000 years forward.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:43 PM

Is the trip permanent or short term?

Never mind. I just saw where I can pick the timeframe.

I can't read...
Old 10-28-2007, 10:17 PM

The bigotry and social injustice of any past time would be hard to deal with. Also I know something about it so it wouldn't be as interesting.

3000 years forward I'd either be the only human around or the only subspecies to show up among a cyborg society.

That leaves 75 in the future. A couple months should soak up enough to be useful to civilization back here.

luckyme
Old 10-28-2007, 11:10 PM

I think you guys are all nuts. I'd travel back maybe 15 years tops and be one of the wealthiest guys on the planet by today. I wouldn't want to be "the" wealthiest.

I'd also try to save millions of lives if possible (although people would probably think I'm loony).

I think many of you are underestimating just how valuable it would be to go back even 2 years.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you guys are all nuts. I'd travel back maybe 15 years tops and be one of the wealthiest guys on the planet by today. I wouldn't want to be "the" wealthiest.

I'd also try to save millions of lives if possible (although people would probably think I'm loony).

I think many of you are underestimating just how valuable it would be to go back even 2 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nuts? Only if money was the lead driver. I was thinking more in terms of interesting and useful. Agree if money was the driver a short time would safe and easy.

greedy b.. , luckyme