Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 06:25 PM

Default Theory question

What would you say is the optimal way to play small stakes plo. From my experience it seems that noone can fold anything in these games. Hands such as top set always seem to get rivered. I feel like I am constantly getting it in +ev but because noone can fold my hands are not regularly holding up. My goal is to move up in stakes where people have an idea about folding certain draws, but at these stakes it seems impossible for them to fold. What advise would everyone have. (CMYR - I read one post where you said you believe you could win with 100 VPIP, I dont know if this was a joke, if not what advise could you give)?
Old 10-04-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Theory question

Flop mine.
Play as many flops as possible where you have a preflop hand that can make the nuts (suited aces, big pocket pairs, straight wraps with flush draw backup), throw away all small and medium pocket pairs.

Don't raise preflop.
Top set gets rivered more when you're seeing flops of 842 with 88 than it does with AA on an AT8 flop, so learn to throw away medium pairs.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:42 PM

if people are making bad calls it's good for you, even if you get sucked out on. Don't tilt and your long-term equity will be substantial.

the 100VPIP comment isn't something I can back up, and I'm not willing to put in the hands to do so, but I don't think it's that far off base. With players playing as badly as you mention there are more then enough profit opportunities to make up for the times you have to c/f dealt quads.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:45 PM

hmmmm, moving up i dont think is going to show more folding, if anything your going to see more of the same thing as well as more RAISING.

i think its very important to beat the level your on and move up legitimately. if you cant beat that level, i dont see why your going to beat the next level.

also, you have to look back on your play and see if you are having a hard time because of short term variance.

i really think that if your not beating the game after 20k hands, then there is more than likely some flaws in your game.

just some food for thought.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:54 PM

Back when I was playing .01/.02, I could play almost every hand and make a profit, but that was because you could buy in for $5 and people couldn't fold second nut hands, no matter the cost.