Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 09-04-2007, 06:53 PM

Default Re: There is an angle or two in here somewhere

I can assure you that you are mistaken in your belief that the typical low limit player knows the rules and is capable of running a game.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can assure you that you are mistaken in your belief that the typical low limit player knows the rules and is capable of running a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

They know the rules better than some old asian lady that doesn't speak english.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to start a dealer-bashing thread, but I think you're under-estimating what a dealer needs to be able to do.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:27 PM

Oh, cripes, I can only imagine the headaches from multiple directions if we brought our low level players in to deal tournaments.

Most people on these forums know more about rules and procedures and etiquette than the mid-stakes players in my room. Not saying the dealers are any better, but just because you do something all day doesn't mean you're any good at it. Isn't the point of small stakes that your opponents have no idea about poker?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to start a dealer-bashing thread, but I think you're under-estimating what a dealer needs to be able to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guarantee you I could spend 3 hours with RR and be noticeably better than any of the bad dealers that are mentioned in this thread. As would 80% of this forum. However, the overall intelligence of this forum is slightly above average... slightly.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guarantee you I could spend 3 hours with RR and be noticeably better than any of the bad dealers that are mentioned in this thread. As would 80% of this forum. However, the overall intelligence of this forum is slightly above average... slightly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also there needs to be a lot of time spent learning how to pitch etc. The bad dealers in my room still are pretty good compared to dealers at say Foxwoods. They don't know how to handle unusual situations like a player telling him he wants to wait for gaming to arrive.

edit to add: In a room that has to hire break in dealers you are looking for people that have potential to become good dealers. For a very inexperienced dealing staff we have a very good dealing staff. When somethig like this occurs it presents a teaching opportunity on how to handle cards that are thrown forward etc. Also being a new dealer he had never consdiered the possibility that someone might refuse to do what the floor told them they had to do and that a player did not have the right to stop the game.