Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

View Poll Results: Which Parody is the shizznit
Queen 8 50.00%
Bowie 8 50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2007, 09:44 AM

Default Re: I disagree with Bob Ciaffone. Who is right?

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, Los Angeles County is much tougher on a missed small blind. If you miss you need to post the BB live and the SB dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same for San Jose.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:11 AM

I haven't played limit online for awhile but I went back and checked a PT database and found this. It would be -EV for me to skip the SB and button and post a live SB. It obviously would be even more -EV to post dead.

I know it depends on me and the type of games I was in. But the key question to answer is: "on average, do you make more profit in SB and button combined than the value of SB?"

Even if the answer to my above question is yes, my preference would be to post SB dead. In my experience, I cannot honesly recall seeing a live SB outside of that position.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:07 AM

Canterbury's rule on this is horrible. If you miss your SB and want back in, you must re-post a BB and post a dead SB. Bleh.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Missed small blind is dead and that's the only scheme that makes sense to me. Otherwise you get to play your small blind from much better position without penalty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. I would never take a bathroom break again unless my small blind came up.

Edit Although if I can buy the button, I would rather miss the blinds and do that.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:13 AM

I'm starting to think that you should be able to post the SB live. Sure, you play the SB from better position by posting it, but you would get to play the cutoff anyway. Also, you get two fewer hands, one of which is the button and you never know when you'll pick up AA in the SB. You post the same amount of money and play fewer hands, I don't see where the advantage is gained.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:15 AM

dead
Old 08-22-2007, 12:43 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

I have been trying to remember how it is handled at Caesar's IN. I know if you miss both blinds, the small blind is posted dead but it seems that I remember on the rare occasions that I miss a small blind, I posted the small blind after the button and it was live.

I hate it when I can't remember things.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Related note: When I worked at the Bike I was able to get them to reduce the penalty for moving away from the BB (and you don't want to wait) to posting the BB only. A thread and poll I ran on 2+2 helped (essentially confirming that it would help keep players in action and you can't really get any significant advantage).

Sick thing is that to the best of my knowledge no other club in town has adopted this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can hear the voices of nits screaming about the player constantly moving who's "saving money" from not posting SBs while reading this.

That might be why it hasn't been adopted.

The nits.

And, well, someone certainly sure to try and abuse it needlessly.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Re: bob is right, just about everyone else has it wrong

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to think you are right

[/ QUOTE ]

That's okay, you can think that; it's a +EV bet in all situations.

Here's the rule from your original post:

[ QUOTE ]
A player who misses any or all blinds can resume play by either posting all the blinds missed or waiting for the big blind. If you choose to post the total amount of the blinds, an amount up to the size of the minimum opening bet is live. The remainder is taken by the dealer to the center of the pot and is not part of your bet. When it is your next turn to act, you have the option to raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

A player who misses any or all blinds can resume play by either posting all the blinds missed or waiting for the big blind. - This is the root of the confusion of the paragraph, and this sort of thing varies by room. In ours, even if you miss only the small blind, you are responsible for both blinds.

If you choose to post the total amount of the blinds, an amount up to the size of the minimum opening bet is live. - Again, awkward wording, but I feel this is soley in the case of somebody posting more than one blind, NOT for someone only posting a small blind. It's a separate sentence from the first one about posting only missed blinds (ie, just the SB) and is qualifying if a player is posting the total of blinds, only the opening bet amount is live. Really, the interesting bit for me is how this is handled in games where the opening bet is more than the total of the blinds.

So, yes, a very awkwardly worded paragraph, one that could use a heavy edit, but I don't think you disagree so much as have a problem with interpretation of a confusing and vague guideline.

Hasn't Bob been fairly responsive to discussion of his rules? This could be cleared up so easily...
Old 08-22-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Related note: When I worked at the Bike I was able to get them to reduce the penalty for moving away from the BB (and you don't want to wait) to posting the BB only. A thread and poll I ran on 2+2 helped (essentially confirming that it would help keep players in action and you can't really get any significant advantage).

Sick thing is that to the best of my knowledge no other club in town has adopted this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can hear the voices of nits screaming about the player constantly moving who's "saving money" from not posting SBs while reading this.

That might be why it hasn't been adopted.

The nits.

And, well, someone certainly sure to try and abuse it needlessly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never heard the policy questioned nor did nits complain. The common (in LA) practice of requiring that both the BB and dead SB be posted encouraged many players to simply wait for the BB or the same relative position. By reducing the requirement to simply posting the BB people tended to post rather than wait.

Just to make sure I had my bases covered I asked the math types on 2+2 if moving from early position to the cutoff repeatedly would be plus EV if you only had to post the BB. The consensus was that there could be little advantage if any and the opportunities to do it repeatedly would be rare anyway.

My observation is that there isn't any abuse to speak of.

~ Rick