Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Raise Turn, Check River?

Here was a line I'd never taken before. I believe I read about this in Stox's book.

I didn't have much of a read on this villain, so we can assume a typical 3-betting range here (it can be trusted a bit more since villain is in the Hijack seat).

FT 3/6

Hero raises UTG with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], villain 3bets, 4 players fold and Hero calls

Flop: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero checks and calls

Turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero check-raises, villain calls

River: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero checks and isn't quite sure whether or not to call a bet
Old 07-31-2007, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Raise Turn, Check River?

No clue why you would CR the turn if you're not betting the river to get a calldown from ace-high. I'm not sold on checkraising the turn though as an unknown FT 3/6 player will have a fairly slim PF 3-betting range in this spot (AQ+, TT+)
Old 07-31-2007, 04:41 PM

what is your reasoning for the turn play?

I would c/c b/f vs a villain who I can trust and c/c c/c otherwise
Old 07-31-2007, 05:38 PM

This seems ok in position, but OOP we put ourselves in a tough spot. We now have to bet the river or we'll allow our opponent to play perfectly against us (high card hands will check behind, and AA/KK and maybe QQ/JJ should find a value bet unless your c/r has spooked them... which would be strange given the action on a board this dry... you usually have a pair yourself or are taking a shot with KQ/AJ type hands... but maybe he's running bad or is passive or confused or expecting a slowplayed AA or whatever).

Problem is that this line doesn't save you money or fold anything you're behind, and it probably ends up costing you more if Villain is paying attention. I'd rather worry about whether to donk the river after I c/c.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:07 PM

I think this is a good play to have in your arsenal, I'm just unsure about this specific situation, especially against an unknown, I never know how to handle a 3 bet. You could see some retarded free showdown 3 bets with AK, or he might not be scared of 7x since you raised UTG and puts you on diamonds and 3 bets his overpair anyway. Since I don't know how to respond to a 3 bet I would play it more straightforward.

Edit: If you're not betting the river, this is pointless, though.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:33 PM

Why didn't you lead out on the turn?

Lead turn, then I actually think it's a b/c river.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:18 AM

I played the hand figuring he'd let go of AK and other unpaired hands on the turn. Since he didn't, I figured he could bluff at the pot on the river with those hands, but fold them if I bet the river. Also, I figured there was a very good chance that better hands check behind fearing action from a better pocket pair or trips/set type hand.

I didn't quite know how to play this hand. I just figured that waiting for the turn was a nice aggressive play to protect the pot, but a lot of times I think the villain checks behind on the turn, giving him a free card to hit his 6 out hand.

Is the correct play to check-raise the flop and call down from a 3-bet, betting the river if the turn checks through?
Old 08-01-2007, 07:32 AM

Waiting for the turn to c/r is a good play against SD-bound LAG:s, but you don't seem to have enough information of this opponent to make a move like this. As played I would bet river since I assume that an unknown is more willing to try to catch a bluff with AK than betting river without a better hand then yours.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: If you're not betting the river, this is pointless, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya! If you c/c this river you will be value owned soooo bad. Bet it and pick up value from good A's
Old 08-01-2007, 08:46 AM

hmm, total brick on the river. I bet and might even call a raise.

if villain knows you raise about 20% of your hands out of this position and 3-bets every hands that have an equity edge that would be:
77+ A9s+ KJs+ ATo+ KQo

on the flop you have 54% equity and on the turn 58% vs villains range.
-> c/r turn is fine + bet river

if you tighten villains 3-bet range to 99+,AJs+,KQs,AJo+,KQo you still have 53% on the flop and 56% on the turn