Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 01:45 AM

Default Re: Insta-passport and agencies

[ QUOTE ]
TC: Yes, that is correct. Here is the list of offices to get passports in less than 2 weeks without the expeditor surcharges: http://travel.state.gov/passport/abo...ncies_913.html

[/ QUOTE ]

i did this in dc. worked perfectly. had passport in 3 days.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:58 PM

Homeland security is easing the passport rules because of the backlog:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/08/us...ssport.html?hp

I used the service El Diablo recommended and it worked great. Sent it out by FedEx on May 29 and will be receiving the passport today. (Trip is on June 13).

I don't get the last couple mentioned in the article mentioned above:
[ QUOTE ]
Some people said they had seen scant flexibility. Tonya Elliott, of Orlando, Fla., said when she and her twin, Seana Mincy, tried to apply for a passport in April for Ms. Mincy’s 3-year-old, Brendan, for a trip to Canada on June 19, a federal court clerk told them that they would not have it in time and to wait until June 5 to call for an appointment.

They could not get through on the phone, Ms. Elliott said, and drove four hours on Thursday to the Miami agency, where, after a day in line, they were offered an appointment after their scheduled departure. When they protested, she said, they were threatened with arrest, adding, “We were treated horribly.”

[/ QUOTE ]
While I obviously don't think that being threatened with arrest is proper--why drive 4 hours when you can just use an expediting service? There's a passport office in San Francisco, but appointments there were too far off. But American Passport does all that stuff for you. Just apply for the passport at the post office, then FedEx everything to American Passport. They'll FedEx your passport back in the time that you paid for.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:11 PM

I am going throught the passport headache right now myself. Going to Aruba at end of the month. Sent in passport apps first of April and they are not back yet.

Currently got a connection with the local House of Represantive trying to pull some strings to make sure they are here on time.

Wish I had just used one of these services to start with.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:22 PM

US announces new passport rules. It would seem they're a tad swamped. Not sure if the new rules affect you.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
US announces new passport rules. It would seem they're a tad swamped. Not sure if the new rules affect you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I linked to a similar article two posts above.

Anyway, it makes sense for anyone even thinking of leaving the US within the next year to apply for one ASAP. And with the delays I've been reading about, if you're leaving within 5 months, use an expediting service. It's only $89 extra for 14 day service.

I got a passport 3 years ago just so I could have one. Now I'm glad I did. (I used the expediting service for my daughter's passport).
Old 06-08-2007, 02:34 PM

the all-might american consumer dollar "wins" again.

i guess they are not that worried about security.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:09 PM

I went to the Los Angeles passport agency yesterday for my trip on Tuesday. They said they will have my passport ready on Monday, the whole thing cost $157 ($97 + $60 speedy fee).

I had to wait about an hour, and other people had to wait much much longer, but if you live in a big city just go to one of the passport agencies. One person was traveling saturday and they were getting her passport done by tomorrow. And the great thing is since it is the official agency you dont have to pay an extra fees.