Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 05-23-2007, 12:13 PM

Default OOP with AK facing a 3bet god I hate this spot!!

Button is running 17/14/6 over 90 hands haven't really had any mix-ups until this hand. Original raiser is the reason we are at this table running 77/13/1.3.

OOP here do we put in the third raise, or play it like the bitch that I am and smooth call. Looking over the HH last night I got the feeling that this may have just been an isolation play, but not sure how to play AK OOP here. Comments on all streets appreciated.
Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.05/$0.10
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $4.50
UTG+1: $10
CO: $9.70
Button: $18.35
hero: $10.25
BB: $19.20

Pre-flop: (6 players) hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to $0.35</font>, CO calls, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $1.65</font>, hero calls, 4 folds.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($4.2, 2 players)
hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $3</font>, hero folds.
Uncalled bets: $3 returned to Button.

Results:
Final pot: $4.2
Old 05-23-2007, 12:26 PM

Default Re: OOP with AK facing a 3bet god I hate this spot!!

c/f flop is fine, although I might consider folding preflop OOP
Old 05-23-2007, 12:36 PM

I c/f this flop too.

BTN looks like he is solid and is likely to be raising PF to isolate the donk. We are in good shape vs. his range if we hit the flop and may dominate him so I think we can get the implied odds needed to call PF and then fit or fold. It just didnt' work out.

I can't see 4betting PF unless its a push and that seems a bit wild against this BTH.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:42 PM

From this thread:

[ QUOTE ]
As far as shoving goes, that's actually a math question, although God only knows if I remember enough algebra to do this right.

First, we determine a range for villain. OP has the most insight into that. Then, we break this range down by hand combinations (three for AA, three for KK, nine for AK, six for QQ, etc.) Finally, we determine what he'll call a shove with. Since this is your first time four-betting him, a reasonable range would be QQ+, or maybe KK+. We then calculate our shove equity.

For instance, let's assign him a completely made-up three-bet range of {99+, ATs+, AJo+, KQs}. There are 58 total hand combinations in that range. And let's say that he calls a shove with QQ+, which constitutes 12 of those hands. Therefore, 12/58 = 20.6% of the time, villain will call the shove, and 46/58 = 79.3% of the time, villain will fold to the shove.

When villain folds, hero picks up the pot of $9.5. When villain calls, hero risks $57.85 to win a pot of $109.6 X% of the time, where X is equal to hero's equity against villain's range. In this case, Pokerstove gives AKo an equity of 30.9% against villain's calling range of QQ+, which means hero's dollar equity is about $33.87, a loss of $23.98.

Therefore, the EV of a shove is determined by the following:
0.793(9.5) - 0.206(23.98) = 2.59,
or a profit of $2.59.

Intriguingly, a shove can still be +EV against a tighter range. Let's say that villain is raising a TAG range of {TT+,AK} and that villain will call with KK+. Now there are 33 hand combinations, and of those 6 will call your push.

27/33 = 81.8% of the time he folds
6/33 = 18.2% of the time he calls

Your equity against a range of KK+ is, of course, much worse, only 18.474%. This means that your dollar equity is only $20.24 when you get called, a loss of $37.61. So:

0.818(9.5) - 0.182(20.24) = 0.92, or a profit of $0.92.
(Which, realistically, you lose to rake. Still, nifty, and probably less exploitable than either calling or folding.)

If villain is ever reraising with AQo preflop, a shove is completely justified.

Anyway. I hope this was helpful. I found it useful as a mental exercise. If any of my math looks wrong, somebody please let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-23-2007, 01:36 PM

I'd say that's different rundown since in your example hero raises and gets 3 bet. In this post there is a raise and a 3bet before hero acts.

I wold fold pre-flop.