Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2007, 11:57 AM

Default AJ in trouble

Full Tilt 2/4

Villain seems like competent player, perhaps even good.

MP calls, Hero raises A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] OTB, villain calls in the SB, BB calls.

Flop: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

villain checks, BB checks, MP checks, Hero bets, villain calls, others fold.

Turn: T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

villain bets, Hero raises, villain 3 bets, Hero?
Old 01-10-2007, 12:02 PM

Default Re: AJ in trouble

I wouldn't raise the turn, the board is too connected and it doesn't really accomplish much unless he has a weak made hand (usually dominated). against that range a river raise is better.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:20 PM

His flop call indicates either a monster or a draw. A marginal made hand should raise to protect.

I play 2/4 as well and I cant remember ever seeing a bet/3-bet semibluff. I think this is JTs, 88, 33, T9s, 98s and J9s against which you can peel and reevaluate the river.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:28 PM

I would never raise that turn. JT for two pair is a popular hand. Plenty other 2 pair hands there also. Villain could have Q9 or 97 for a straight. I'd call down though and hope it's just TP worse kicker wanting to make sure you don't check through or a pair and a nine (OESD.)
Old 01-10-2007, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would never raise that turn. JT for two pair is a popular hand. Plenty other 2 pair hands there also. Villain could have Q9 or 97 for a straight. I'd call down though and hope it's just TP worse kicker wanting to make sure you don't check through or a pair and a nine (OESD.)

[/ QUOTE ]

At the time I was thinking that I would make it expensive for the other players in the hand to call the turn. I suppose I did it to isolate and as a sort of free showdown raise. I figured if villain calls I can check behind the river. My turn raise was meant to help me win the hand. I couldn't understand why anyone with a great hand would donk the turn this way when they can have me bet, the others call, and then they raise and trap everyone for one more bet.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At the time I was thinking that I would make it expensive for the other players in the hand to call the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's something to be said for that. You could fold out a gutshot that way.

[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't understand why anyone with a great hand would donk the turn this way when they can have me bet, the others call, and then they raise and trap everyone for one more bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
He might not be sure you'll bet. You could have made a CB on the flop with a miss. I've seen players donk w/ 2pr or better on the turn into the pfr and CB'r. I'll do it myself unless I'm very sure the other guy will bet.

With a hand that's not a monster like a straight, it's also good if he bets if he thinks you'll raise as you're protecting his hand for him against gutshots. In that case your raise may be good for both of you. When he three bets of course, I think you have to be worried he has at least two pair and often better.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
JT for two pair is a popular hand. Plenty other 2 pair hands there also. Villain could have Q9 or 97 for a straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing about JT. Why didnt he raise the flop? He had an excellent opportunity to shut out the field.

Q9 and 97 you say is possible as well. I agree that they are possible, but its far from every play tht calls them preflop.

So I think JT and straights should be discounted.