Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Science quiz linktarding

76% which roughly corresponds to a typical score Iw ould get in my actual science classes back in the day.
Screw studying. I'll just wing it!!

Also:
"As a Physics teacher, I can safely say that the question was poorly worded."

Teachers don't exactly have a monopoly on what does or does not constitute a well-phrased question.

Some of the tests that my teachers constructed had some extremely poorly phrased questions.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:02 PM

8th grade wtf

57% - failed
Old 07-05-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jasper,

Wait a sec, so you're saying it is reasonable to make some basic assumptions about what they mean in the question based on the information given?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but when 0m/s is one of the choices (for no rational reason) a can of worms is needlessly opened. That, IMO, is the main flaw in the question.

That answer is completely unreasonable given basic assumptions, so for someone doing the question it might lead them to consider other possible scenarios or explanations.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
8th grade wtf

57% - failed

[/ QUOTE ]

I was waiting for somebody to challenge my score for the biggest science idiot here...looks like we're tied for now, lol.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jasper,

Wait a sec, so you're saying it is reasonable to make some basic assumptions about what they mean in the question based on the information given?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but when 0m/s is one of the choices (for no rational reason) a can of worms is needlessly opened. That, IMO, is the main flaw in the question.

That answer is completely unreasonable given basic assumptions, so for someone doing the question it might lead them to consider other possible scenarios or explanations.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you feel that tests should not include wrong answers that may seem reasonable to people who think they understand the question?
Old 07-05-2007, 07:39 PM

92%
Old 07-05-2007, 07:44 PM

Daryn you seem to be arguing from the standpoint that the question is well defined. it is obviously not. this question as written could never make it on any standardized test. there doesn't seem to be much argument on that issue.

so when you say:

[ QUOTE ]
so you feel that tests should not include wrong answers that may seem reasonable to people who think they understand the question?

[/ QUOTE ]

it distracts from the issue. yes, everyone agrees with your point, if you are in fact talking about a well defined question. this question however is not well defined, so by putting in answers like 0m/s you are in effect making the question more ambiguous.

simply put, the word final is misused in the question. if you said "when the stone hits the water" it would be much easier to interpret.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jasper,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just saying that including 0m/s makes it more likely for someone answering the question to interpret it in a way that the person writing the question had not intended.

If you have 4 choices that are all non-zero the whole issue of the rock eventually coming to rest at some final point in time is avoided.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you all stfu already, stupidest discussion ever.

More interesting is the fact that I had NO IDEA fruits had a scientific purpose

[/ QUOTE ]

are you [censored] serious? you think fruits just exist for us to eat them?
Old 07-05-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
8th grade wtf

57% - failed

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried rationalizing my score by thinking that a huge majority of 8th graders can't actually pass this test. Sure, it deals with pretty basic subject matter, but these questions were presented a lot harder than your typical 8th grader would see on any test. Also, it is extremely comprehensive and this would have to be a year long final exam, if you could even fit all that different kind of learning in one year. Also, I can't even remember the last time I learned this stuff, so who cares if you can't remember things an 8th grader should know.

Hope this helps,
Sponger.