Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2006, 04:15 AM

Default Greedy dealer or cheap grinder? (toke involved)

Background: I consider myself an average to slightly generous tipper. Always at least 5% MTT, 1$/hand including most blind steals, $2 for cocktails or complicated drinks like iced coffee, julius etc (BTW they have both of these at Borgata now).

So I am playing a 250+20 SNG which is chopped three ways and I get $400 or +$130. First and second tip $75 and $50 respectively and the SNG only lasts 1:20, same dealer whole time. I figure I am only liable to $7 or 5% of winnings since the buy-in was such a large percent. I see the dealer already made $125 for an hours work and I don't have any one dollar bills so I drop a finsky in the box and I am done with it. Dealer says "man you won $400 and your only tipping $5" I explain that I actually won $130 and he did better for the hour than I did without risking $270. Dealer persists (I thought he might have been joking around at first). I was quite pissed but calmly waited for my money and rolled out without furthur argument.

My assertion is that the dealers in SNGs don't even deserve 5% of the price pool for an hours work as they are already getting $16 hour. I am actually considering tipping less next time. Is it just me or is dealer's time not worth $100/hour? Am I a cheap grinder or was this dealer out of line?
Old 08-19-2006, 05:00 AM

Default Re: Greedy dealer or cheap grinder? (toke involved)

[ QUOTE ]
they are already getting $16 hour

[/ QUOTE ]

I've stopped replying to the numerous toking threads, but couldn't resist this one. The dealer was certainly out of line, but you mean that these dealers are making $16 per hour BEFORE tokes? Where was this?
Old 08-19-2006, 06:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
they are already getting $16 hour

[/ QUOTE ]

I've stopped replying to the numerous toking threads, but couldn't resist this one. The dealer was certainly out of line, but you mean that these dealers are making $16 per hour BEFORE tokes? Where was this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tourny rate is around $14-$16 at Borgata on average, which is subsidized by the rake. I realize there are lot of toke threads that's why I put in the title, I thought this was a fairly uncovered aspect.

I was especially pissed that the dealer mouthed off twice, I would personally be a dealer myself if I made $150+ for an hour and half of work and I certainly would not be bitching that I was underpaid. Where is the limit? If I play a 1000+40 are the players suppose to tip $250+ for two hours of dealing in addition to the $400 in rake? Call me a nit but if I play again and get that line from the dealer, I am taking it to the room manager.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:23 AM

I wouldn't have to get a direct insult about a tip from a dealer a SECOND time before reporting it.

Also, julius as in Orange Julius? Alcoholic or no?
Old 08-19-2006, 08:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't have to get a direct insult about a tip from a dealer a SECOND time before reporting it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dealer is way out of line.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but if I play again and get that line from the dealer, I am taking it to the room manager.

[/ QUOTE ] My opinion is you should have talked to the manager on this occasion also.

Peace,
Mygtar
Old 08-19-2006, 10:47 AM

Dealer was out of line on this one.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:58 AM

I agree, the dealer was out of line, but also think that the tipping should not be dependent on what the other people tip, but rather what you feel is appropriate.

Out of curiosity, why is an iced coffee a complex drink?
Old 08-19-2006, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tourny rate is around $14-$16 at Borgata on average,

[/ QUOTE ]
Can anyone confirm this??? I'd be VERY shocked if this was true (although it would go a long way to explain why Borg dealers are so much better than anyone else)
Old 08-19-2006, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tourny rate is around $14-$16 at Borgata on average,

[/ QUOTE ]
Can anyone confirm this??? I'd be VERY shocked if this was true (although it would go a long way to explain why Borg dealers are so much better than anyone else)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully someone else will confirm, but my friend who is a veteran dealer gets $16 tourny rate. I believe the average is only slightly less than that as dealer pay doesn't vary much with experience. This is tourny rate only of course, they make far less when dealing cash games (but more overall when tokes are factored).