Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 05:46 PM

Default Stars question

Ok this kind of stuff happens to me all the time at Pokerstars. What are the odds of this? Is it normal I see this fairly often? Thanks.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Stars question

Very rare. You'll only see a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q flop once in 22,100 hands. Can't remember the last time I saw it myself. Thanks for posting it.

Seriously, what exactly is your question? Same hand and flop at two tables at once? How many tables do you usually have open? What counts as "the same"? (One is KK4 with K4 suited, the other is KK4 rainbow, for instance.) Each of these seemingly nitpicky things make a huge difference to the answer.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very rare. You'll only see a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q flop once in 22,100 hands. Can't remember the last time I saw it myself. Thanks for posting it.

Seriously, what exactly is your question? Same hand and flop at two tables at once? How many tables do you usually have open? What counts as "the same"? (One is KK4 with K4 suited, the other is KK4 rainbow, for instance.) Each of these seemingly nitpicky things make a huge difference to the answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm down to 4 tables at a time now. No one thinks it's odd that the rng gave me the same hand and flop on half my tables? Never mind then.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:23 PM

I think it's obvious that a company making as much profit as pokerstars would deliberately mess about with their RNG just to have a bit of fun & risk being found out by people running statistical tests
Old 08-27-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's obvious that a company making as much profit as pokerstars would deliberately mess about with their RNG just to have a bit of fun & risk being found out by people running statistical tests

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Who said deliberate?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:30 PM

As I said - how odd it is depends on what you define as "same hand" and "same flop." (You got the same hand up to suit symmetry. You do not have the same flop on your two tables.)

If by "same", you mean "same ranks represented in the flop but I'll ignore suits, and I'll notice whether my hand is suited, but not whether those suits match the flop cards", there are around 75,000 possible deals (not all equally likely) making the odds somewhere between 1 in 5000 and 1 in 10000 for a situation like the one shown above at any given instant. (If they were all equally likely, it'd be 12500 to 1; if they were all as likely as the most common combinations, it'd be around 4000 to 1.)

The above is for the case of four hands dealt simultaneously. Bear in mind that with 4 tables open, hands arent dealt at the same instant at every table, so you may get to compare each deal with SIX others instead of just three -- making this much more common than the above. Say 1000 to 1. On the other hand, not every table has a flop on every hand -- making it rarer again.

Quantifying it with any kind of precision requires a much more precise statement of what "it" is.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I said - how odd it is depends on what you define as "same hand" and "same flop." (You got the same hand up to suit symmetry. You do not have the same flop on your two tables.)

If by "same", you mean "same ranks represented in the flop but I'll ignore suits, and I'll notice whether my hand is suited, but not whether those suits match the flop cards", there are around 75,000 possible deals (not all equally likely) making the odds somewhere between 1 in 5000 and 1 in 10000 for a situation like the one shown above at any given instant. (If they were all equally likely, it'd be 12500 to 1; if they were all as likely as the most common combinations, it'd be around 4000 to 1.)

The above is for the case of four hands dealt simultaneously. Bear in mind that with 4 tables open, hands arent dealt at the same instant at every table, so you may get to compare each deal with SIX others instead of just three -- making this much more common than the above. Say 1000 to 1. On the other hand, not every table has a flop on every hand -- making it rarer again.

Quantifying it with any kind of precision requires a much more precise statement of what "it" is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the explanation.