Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Re: My Dad\'s [censored] Union

[ QUOTE ]
Adios, what makes you think productive workers don't get anything out of unions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did I say that productive workers don't get anything out of unions? I'm seriously starting wonder if people are taught the basics of reading in school anymore because to me the reading comprehension skills of the posters I read on this forum seems to be often lacking.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll bet that excluding independent contractors, lehighguy's dad makes more than the best non-union driver in the city.

[/ QUOTE ]

So? That doesn't contradict what I wrote. DUCY?

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are talking about "Oh noes, he might lose his job!!!", but that is so standard. People quit jobs all the time because of crappy bosses. People lose jobs all the time because of salary disagreements. The situation is much better from the worker's POV in a union because with a union, there is actually a chance they can get what they want without quitting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you implying that the only way for people to improve their working situation, whatever it may be, is if they're a member of a union? I hope you're not.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where did I say that productive workers don't get anything out of unions?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It means sticking by your fellow men for the benefit of the slackers and the detriment of the most productive people.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-26-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Where did I say that productive workers don't get anything out of unions?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It means sticking by your fellow men for the benefit of the slackers and the detriment of the most productive people.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is at all possible for somone to get something but not enough and/or not what they're entitled to?
Old 11-26-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I support a "Give them an hour to pout and get their asses back on the job, or you're fired and I'll hire some drivers who will work for $40k a yr instead of $80k" strategy.

Sorry to hear about your dad though. Situations like his are why I don't like unions.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense. You realize that his situation, while not ideal, is a a hell of a lot better than it would have been if there was never any union at all, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said Unions didn't have their place in history, but in modern times, they are putting American companies out of business because the American companies are so worried about public image that they're willing to pay these union workers 2, sometimes 3x what the fair market value of the service they perform, which is driving costs up, and wrecking the economy.

Take UAW, for example. Several years ago, I toured one of the auto manufacturing plants outside Atlanta with my high school. While there, I met two women who made $22/hr+, just for holding a lug gun and putting lug nuts on wheels.

The wheels were already on the car, someone else had done that.

The point of that story? I can go on the street and find someone willing to do the same job for $8/hr, and could probably fire the guy who puts the tires on the cars and make the two jobs into one job as well.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I support a "Give them an hour to pout and get their asses back on the job, or you're fired and I'll hire some drivers who will work for $40k a yr instead of $80k" strategy.

Sorry to hear about your dad though. Situations like his are why I don't like unions.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense. You realize that his situation, while not ideal, is a a hell of a lot better than it would have been if there was never any union at all, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said Unions didn't have their place in history, but in modern times, they are putting American companies out of business because the American companies are so worried about public image that they're willing to pay these union workers 2, sometimes 3x what the fair market value of the service they perform, which is driving costs up, and wrecking the economy.

Take UAW, for example. Several years ago, I toured one of the auto manufacturing plants outside Atlanta with my high school. While there, I met two women who made $22/hr+, just for holding a lug gun and putting lug nuts on wheels.

The point of that story? I can go on the street and find someone willing to do the same job for $8/hr, and could probably fire the guy who puts the tires on the cars and make the two jobs into one job as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's stopping you? It sounds like you could make a killing in the auto industry.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's stopping you? It sounds like you could make a killing in the auto industry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know enough about car design. I have changed enough tires to know that I can train an inbred 1/2 retarded chimp to put lugnuts on, it's certainly not skilled labor.

Then again, unless you're in a maintenance/mechanical position at the factory, very little is actually skilled labor, in most factories. Most of these workers could be replaced at the drop of a hat and you could retrain new hires in a matter of hours.

Truck driving, on the other hand, while certainly skilled labor, is not the type of job that cannot be easily replaced either.

Then again, when you're willing to walk off your job, then kill someone mafioso style for being intelligent enough to go "Hey, I'm hungry, my wife and kids are hungry, and these [censored] don't wanna go to work, I'll go!" I guess you can usually get your way.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Well, if sticking to principle only means sticking to them when it is in your best interest, we're obviously operating with two different version of the word principle.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the problem. A union exists to always protect the workers. I am having trouble envisioning when a union should do something that isn't in its members best interest.

[/ QUOTE ]

A union exists to collect union dues and control vast sums of money. To think the union will always (or even usually)act in the best interest of it's membership is naive.

[/ QUOTE ]
It starts out so honest which is the saddest part, but I guess that is the case with everything. Start out just trying to help out people, then it gets bogged down with actual human beings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's very similar to government that way. Sadly, good intentions doesn't go very far.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For $8 I'd much rather work at a convenience store than do something that hard. Go up to like $14 and we'll talk.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For $8 I'd much rather work at a convenience store than do something that hard. Go up to like $14 and we'll talk.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you feel that way, you're probably overqualified for the position anyway.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Somebody already is. See: Japan