Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Group Three: 3 vs 4
Batman (Keaton/Nicholson) 70 56.00%
X-Men 55 44.00%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Do you hate Jerry Yang already?

[ QUOTE ]
I fail to see how this is any different from people bringing lucky coins as card protectors or any other of the superstitious stuff people do that nobody seems to mind (that much anyway).

You don't hate him for being superstitious, you hate him for being religious (more accurately, you don't hate him, so much as you hate religion itself).

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, people who do not belief in God are uncomfortable being in the presence of someone who does.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why someone should be "open-minded" about religion. This dude believes an invisible dude in the sky was watching over the shuffling of the deck. The superstitions and the crap he said at the table were just weird to the point of being creepy. He seems like a kind person, so I don't hate him, but I'm not going to say I don't think he's an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fail to see how this is any different from people bringing lucky coins as card protectors or any other of the superstitious stuff people do that nobody seems to mind (that much anyway).

You don't hate him for being superstitious, you hate him for being religious (more accurately, you don't hate him, so much as you hate religion itself).

[/ QUOTE ]

I dislike superstition in general, so lucky coins and things of that nature aren't my favorite either. It was just the way he displayed his faith, praying loudly and obnoxiously at the table, and making it clear that he genuinely believed God was controlling the cards, that was annoying. I don't think most people with lucky charms really believe that they make a difference (though, if they do, yikes).
Old 07-18-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, people who do not belief in God are uncomfortable being in the presence of someone who does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uggh. You'd might have a slim chance of having a point if all of us non-believers weren't 100% used to being surrounded by believers.

What makes Yang different is not that he's religious, lots of WSOP champions are or were.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So if Yang brought a lucky Shaq bobble head doll to the table and jumped up yelling, "Come on Shaq bobble head doll show the people the miracle!!! Praise be unto you oh lucky bobble head!!" would you be in here telling people they're just hating on the Shaq bobble head and not Yang?

The guy is a [censored] clownshoe for jumping up and yelling like a retard in the middle of a hand. I hate religion and I hate Yang. I just hate him a little bit more because he happens to be religious.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why someone should be "open-minded" about religion. This dude believes an invisible dude in the sky was watching over the shuffling of the deck. The superstitions and the crap he said at the table were just weird to the point of being creepy. He seems like a kind person, so I don't hate him, but I'm not going to say I don't think he's an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the world would be a better place if everyone stopped being moronic imbeciles .

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-18-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think the world would be a better place if everyone stopped caring so much about what other people believe or don't believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most would agree. That said, the Christians in America have a better track record of getting their beliefs made into law (or at least coloring the public discourse) than the atheists. Between that and this discussion being on the internet, Home of Atheism, that's why you're seeing the reaction you're getting, I'd imagine.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:30 PM

Jerry is from Laos.

Maybe not everyone understand this, but Laotians are the most humble and pleasant people you can meet. And I can compare, travelling 2-3 month a year around the world. I have been to Laos 3 times and besides the wonderful people, the nature is fantastic. Take a break from poker and go there on your next vacation..!

I love that Jerry won the event. He played the best poker at the final table and his view is broader than most peoples. As he said in the interview, he know what it means to be poor and he will give something back.

Congratulations Jerry Yang!
Old 07-18-2007, 11:54 PM

The prayer thing is over the top. But I really like the guy. He's 10x better than Jamie Gold in life and in poker. He's modest, humble and a good-natured person. Better him than a flashy douchebag or a degenerate gambler.

He's not media/spotlight like Raymer and Hachem. He's just an average, nice guy who had a good run of cards and played really good poker for one day.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The prayer thing is over the top. But I really like the guy. He's 10x better than Jamie Gold in life and in poker. He's modest, humble and a good-natured person. Better him than a flashy douchebag or a degenerate gambler.

[/ QUOTE ]Agreed. Also think Yang >>>> Gold.