Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2006, 02:47 AM

Default Gotta love the Pac-10 replay booth officials

A few weeks ago they eff up the call in the Oregon game, giving them the victory.

This week in the Oregon/USC game, there is a 4th down play from the redzone w/ Oregon going for it on 4th and goal. The QB rolls out and throws a pass to the endzone that is tipped by an Oregon player and caught by another Oregon player and is ruled a TD on the field. It is questionable that the guy who caught it landed with his heel in bounds or not, but that's not what is challenged.
After 5+ minutes, the replay officials review it and determine the the player who caught the ball first voluntarily stepped out of bounds and came back into the field of play and therefore it is a penalty for illegal touching and a loss of down, SC ball on the 10.

Now the Oregon coach challenges the challenge?? WTF? I didn't know you could do this. They go back to the booth for another 4-5 minutes. They come back and say that since the ball was tipped (coincidentally, the guy who tipped it previously stepped out of bounds too, but they didn't catch this) the player is allowed to come back in bounds and catch the ball (even though he didn't get his foot inbounds when he caught it anyway, but they didn't review that i guess).

What a clusterfcuk.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:52 AM

Default Re: Gotta love the Pac-10 replay booth officials

The guy that tipped it was #58 of USC, then the reciever of Oregon then finally the RB of Oregon caught the TD. But, yes P10 official suck, know the rules of the sport you are officiating.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:12 AM

Your description is somewhat biased. It was not clear weather or not the palyer who caught the ball got his foot inbounds or not, so they had to go with the ruling on the field (that his foot was inbounds). The guy who tiped the ball was a USC player. This nullifies the illegal touching penalty. I think, in the end, they got it right. However, if the officials had known the rules (like they should) they might have been able to do it in less than 16 minutes.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:42 AM

I love how they're trying to shave time off the game with the new clock rules yet they routinely take 5 minutes to do replay review. They really need to go with the NFL system so it only happens a couple times per game instead of whenever a replay official feels like holding up the game.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:22 PM

During the game last night, they said that the average review takes 2:02. I don't think that's too long, and I would rather have delays than bad calls. However, it might not be a bad idea to put a time limit on reviews like they have in the NFL.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:26 PM

The avg review is 2:02, but how many reviews are there per game? I'd like to see the avg number of reviews, sometimes it is just ridiculous, there is a stoppage every few plays.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:02 PM

I just watched that ordeal on Tivo. What a frickin' farce. I'd love to get a transcript of what was going on that replay booth for those 10+ minutes.