Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 09:12 PM

Default Re: Joe Torre = Dodgers manager

Why would Little resign? Why wouldn't he wait for the Dodgers to fire him so he gets his $$?
Old 10-31-2007, 11:49 AM

Maybe is wasn't really a resignation, just a polite way for him to go; and maybe they came to a financial settlement.

Supposedly, the Dodgers were going to replace him with Girardi anyway, if Girardi didn't get the Yankees job.

The worst part of this whole thing will be having to listen to Tommy Lasorda canonize Torre as the Second Coming. Hopefully Tommy will pass away before the press conference.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:27 PM

Is it possible that Little resigned to make negotiating with Torre as difficult as possible?
Old 10-31-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it possible that Little resigned to make negotiating with Torre as difficult as possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sure he's looking out for what's best for him,, not to screw a very rich orginazation out of a small amount of money for them... and a much larger amount of money for him
Old 10-31-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Torre could possibly end up doing differently with the Dodgers, if only because the veteran players he'd walk into there aren't *his* veteran players, and he may not feel any special loyalty to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said it somewhere else: Torre's Dodgers will win less than 85 games (the average of Little's two years in LA). Anyone want to take the over?
Old 10-31-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Torre could possibly end up doing differently with the Dodgers, if only because the veteran players he'd walk into there aren't *his* veteran players, and he may not feel any special loyalty to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said it somewhere else: Torre's Dodgers will win less than 85 games (the average of Little's two years in LA). Anyone want to take the over?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but probably not for the same reasons as you probably think. The D'bags and Rockies are going to be better teams throughout the season, and San Diego should remain strong. I just don't see the Dodgers as more than a 78-80 win club right now.

However, if Torre were managers of the Dodgers in '07, the veterans would have been at a war of words with the club's young horses late this season.

Any personnel moves will have a greater impact on the Dodgers W/L totals in 2008 than Torre's presence.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but probably not for the same reasons as you probably think. The D'bags and Rockies are going to be better teams throughout the season, and San Diego should remain strong. I just don't see the Dodgers as more than a 78-80 win club right now.

However, if Torre were managers of the Dodgers in '07, the veterans would have been at a war of words with the club's young horses late this season.

Any personnel moves will have a greater impact on the Dodgers W/L totals in 2008 than Torre's presence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, my reasoning is very similar. There is a lot of parity in the NL West. Four of the five teams had a legitimate shot last year and should compete next year. Torre is not the difference maker -- and I think he could do worse managing in the National League -- he is out of practice and he can't close his eyes as much as he did in the dugout with the Yankees.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because Ned Coletti is bad?
Old 10-31-2007, 06:05 PM

Out of practice in doing what? In having the pitcher bunt? There's less strategy involved in managing an NL team than an AL team. Maybe in the days when pitchers routinely went 9 and a quality closer was a rarity, there were some crucial late inning decisions to be made in the 7th or 8th inning of a close game. But not any more.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Out of practice in doing what? In having the pitcher bunt? There's less strategy involved in managing an NL team than an AL team. Maybe in the days when pitchers routinely went 9 and a quality closer was a rarity, there were some crucial late inning decisions to be made in the 7th or 8th inning of a close game. But not any more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Andy, Andy, Andy - need I remind you of the double-switch? What if Torre keeps messing it up, putting two people in left field and accidentally having the bullpen catcher pitch? You can't expect someone to come in an handle the NL without a few years of experience.