Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 10:50 AM

Default Called Chase to get my credit limit raised...

I've never been late or not paid in full any payment, student loan or credit card, ever.

I call Chase, get to an operator. I'm hoping to go from $3400 to around $8,000, so there are no problems associated with furnishing my new apartment. Additionally, that seems to be pitifully low (I got this card when I was 18 before college started). So I ask for $10,000, figuring that will get me an offer around where I want it to be.

Numbers get typed into the computer, and then I am told "Mr. IdealFugacity, I'm sorry, but we cannot do that. A letter has been sent detailing why."

Anyone know what this letter is going to say??
Old 05-09-2007, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Called Chase to get my credit limit raised...

Yeah, it's gonna say you've been denied.

Seriously, if you have a low FICO score for whatever reason, they can turn you down. Just because you have a good history with them doesn't mean you have a good history with everyone else. Maybe you don't meet their income requirements. Maybe your limit-to-balance ratios are too high. Maybe they typed in the wrong info & have you mixed up with someone else (customer service reps at c.c. companies aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer).

In other words, there could be a lot different reasons. Wait till you get the letter & see.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:57 AM

Making 56k, and I just checked my free credit report, I have 6 things that are "Pays as Agreed" (5 loans and 1 credit card), 0 negative history.

Highest cc paymentI ever made was 470 bucks, which was around 15% of max.

waiting and seeing...
Old 05-09-2007, 01:01 PM

lol calling again gets "Sir, you already tried that this morning."
Old 05-09-2007, 01:10 PM

Sounds like they have your number!!!
Old 05-09-2007, 01:39 PM

Your limit is $3K and you've never charged more than $470 in a month. Now all of a sudden you want $10K? Of course it's risky to them - you want a credit limit 20x higher than you've ever charged in one month.

Go charge $3,000 and pay it all off and call them the next month and they'll change their mind.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your limit is $3K and you've never charged more than $470 in a month. Now all of a sudden you want $10K? Of course it's risky to them - you want a credit limit 20x higher than you've ever charged in one month.

Go charge $3,000 and pay it all off and call them the next month and they'll change their mind.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-09-2007, 03:45 PM

Default You Sir,

Are a deadbeat, sir.

We have reason to believe you will not repay your borrowings sir, since you have charges to Full Tilt Poker, Sir, and betonsports.com, sir.

We do not want to risk a credit card holder of our bank to purchase their entry fee for the World Series of Poker, sir.

We also have records of your excessive spending at the Bodacious Ta Ta club. Therefore, you are denied further credit, sir.

You also have a historical credit rating of 420 (four twenty), due to your drug abuse history. We would also believe any further loans will go up in smoke, sir.

If you have any further questions call 1800-EAT SHLT, sir.

Good Day Sir, sincerely,

Shittibank
Old 05-09-2007, 07:09 PM

Similar Chase situation..

Had a card with them for over a year. I have about a 720 credit score w/ only debt in mortgage and car, both in good standing. I asked to have my 3k limit bumped to 5k. They denied within minutes and sent me a letter saying "my balance was too high to have it raised".

1 week later, they sent another letter saying my limit was raised to 4k. I don't like chase.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:31 PM

Wow, Chase sounds really nitty with the CLI's. I've had a couple Citi CCs since I think 2004/2005 or so, and they keep letting me increase my credit limit even though I don't even ask for it, nor do I need it.