Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Top Chef 8/1 Thread

Dids - haha, fair enough.

I'm down with Hung mainly because he's Asian and obviously very competent. Also, last night, when he had an opportunity to tear into Joey, he declined. I think your read is right and he's not nearly the [censored] he makes himself out to be.

-Al
Old 08-02-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm down with Hung mainly because he's Asian and obviously very competent. ... I think your read is right and he's not nearly the ass the producers make himself out to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love Hung; obviously he's flawed but he's genius and funny; he's obviously this season's Marcel.

[ QUOTE ]

This Rocco guy seems like a douchebag, and also maybe uses alot of botox or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you haven't seen his reality show, you have no clue at how huge of a douchebag he really is. It was one of the earliest "chef starting a new restaurant" reality shows of which there have now been many, and it was just unbelievable the way Rocco cried and whined and hid and ran away and generally acted like a girl with PMS the whole time.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:23 PM

Cbloom - haha, nope, never saw "The Restaurant". Actually, maybe I was reading into this, but usually the contestants have some laudatory comments about the guest judge, not this time (oh and I think Joey actually called him an [censored]). Also Collichio got into it with him.

-Al
Old 08-02-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think there's any attempts for the product placement to not be obvious. Just pretend each ep has a different sponsor, I don't think it takes away from the quality of the show at all. I thought especially this ep was a nice way of pimping the sponsor and challenging the chefs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Each episode has lots of sponsors. They are called commercials.

I would gladly accept a weekly sponsor if they got rid of commercials, but until that day, stop trying to shove it down our throats.

Also, watching a guy who owns restaurants stand alongside great chefs and people that went through culinary school and say things like "its great, because you actually have to put it in the pan and cook it for ten minutes, so you too can feel like a real chef!" is just plain stupid and should be insulting to the audience.

If they are going to have a sponsor like that, at least have the sponsors be on the level of what they try the rest of the show to be at.

It seems phony when the judges have to keep falling back on "know your audience" when they are asked to use caviar one week and Spuds Brand Insta-Taters~ the next week. Granted that does show diversity of style and creativity to be able to master the low and high brow foods, but I still don't like it.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:30 PM

I do agree with Noah in that it feels like their using way to many gimmicks this season. Aside from Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares, Top Chef is my favorite food-related show and it feels like it's really going downhill this season.

Not to hijack, but if anyone hasn't seen Ramsey's Kitchen nightmares, it's amazing - by far my favorite food show. It's on tonight on BBC America at 8pm est I think.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:31 PM

"I'm down with Hung mainly because he's Asian and obviously very competent. ... I think your read is right and he's not nearly the ass the producers make himself out to be."

The producers are not the ones who made him say some of the thigns he's said in the interviews. Clearly he attempted to position himself as a badass, but he can't pull it off
Old 08-02-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think there's any attempts for the product placement to not be obvious. Just pretend each ep has a different sponsor, I don't think it takes away from the quality of the show at all. I thought especially this ep was a nice way of pimping the sponsor and challenging the chefs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure I'd like to view the show that way, and I do think it takes away from the quality of the show when you have both the challenge and the guest chef turn into pure product placement. The way Rocco was going on about the product, I thought he was gonna stick his dick in the bag and make sweet sweet frozen love to it.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I'm down with Hung mainly because he's Asian and obviously very competent. ... I think your read is right and he's not nearly the ass the producers make himself out to be."

The producers are not the ones who made him say some of the thigns he's said in the interviews. Clearly he attempted to position himself as a badass, but he can't pull it off

[/ QUOTE ]

If you look at Bourdain's guest blog entry on Coliccio's blog from a few days ago, a comment from a reader is that he remembers Hung doing a flying kick on his brother in high school. Sounded like Hung being a jerk and picking on someone more than defending himself, unless I misread. And what an absurd way to do so! So being an over the top a-hole apparently isn't new to Hung.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:53 PM

How about Rocco not telling them that their meatballs were still frozen and just giving them the "did you taste this food" routine?

Rocco "did you taste this [censored] yet?"
Contestant "yeah, it's the mortal [censored], we're gonna win"
Rocco "uhhh, Ok, if you say so..."
Contestant to other Contestant: "I guess Rocco really liked our food, huh?"

What an assbag, Rocco. Just tell them it's still frozen, prick.

And what retards for not thinking something was up when Rocco said what he said.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:53 PM

"I do think it takes away from the quality of the show when you have both the challenge and the guest chef turn into pure product placement."

Explain why?

I mean, we're all kinda programmed to find this stuff gauche, but if you can ignore that, and realize that it's how these kinds of shows get to exist, I don't see how it really detracts from the quality of hte show.