Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Cover Design Contest

I can move the suits with a little effort, they don't need to be cut off. The Kc could be tried, but it doesn't look as good as the one I'm using (Kh). PLus it's about a 30 minute job so I don't wanna unless I have to, I've already rendered a few covers doing the same process (if you look early in the thread the suits were placed differently).

Everything is rendered in layers and can move, with a little work. This is in case the spine turns out to be thinner or wide than an inch.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised there aren't more entries already, but I guess it's early yet.

This is the kind of state of where I'm at for the moment:

I'm experiementing with setting up some nice semi-opaque windows for text & quotes on the back cover, rough sample of what I'm talking about here:

For other 2+2 texts there's been a tendency to just plop words down over a plain background, which is usually easy. It's not a good idea here because there are some legibility concerns due to the textured background. Problem is if I create a window I'm definining the space where the text has to go... I'd rather make the window to fit around the text rather than have someone else try to fit their text in the window...

The spine by itself, based on a 1 inch width:

Still very rough but all of the comments are helping me steer this thing

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations, Gons. Contest over IMO.

nh sir
Old 05-18-2007, 11:26 AM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

Guys, if you look carefully at Mason's original post you'll see that our title has a hyphen in it, whereas the covers so far have "No Limit" without the hyphen. We are indeed going with the hyphen because we decided it's more precise. For example, compare the following two sentences:

"In Zimbabwe, no limit games have a dealer."

"In Zimbabwe, no-limit games have a dealer."

....the first sentence could be construed as "There aren't any limit games with a dealer."
Old 05-18-2007, 11:53 AM

Well done Gonso. I've never seen a poker book that looks as good as these.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:17 PM

It's a darn good thing that the contest lasts 'till 6/15 because the bar has been set extremely high. The "King Design", IMHO, would be extremely difficult to top.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:55 PM

Default Re: New Submission

[ QUOTE ]
This always comes up but in the world "hold 'em" there is a space before the apostrophe. That's because it is actually a shortened version of two words: "hold" and "them"

[/ QUOTE ]
Let's we're haven't you'll.

No space by default for two words in common contractions. A space for style perhaps, typeface-dependent.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This always comes up but in the world "hold 'em" there is a space before the apostrophe. That's because it is actually a shortened version of two words: "hold" and "them"

[/ QUOTE ]

No space by default for two words in common contractions. A space for style perhaps, typeface-dependent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except hold 'em isn't a contraction. It is 2 words, them is just shortened to 'em. It's slang.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All those guys that want to tell you about grammar? You tell'em. Don't let'em push you around! Show'em how these contractions are done!
Old 05-18-2007, 03:26 PM

'Common'. Thanks for playing.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
'Common'. Thanks for playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to write another smart alec reply, but I thought I'd look in a dictionary instead. The only one I could find online that listed either hold 'em or hold'em was this:

[ QUOTE ]

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
hold 'em /ˈhoʊld əm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[hohld uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
a form of poker in which each player is dealt two cards face down and then makes the best five-card hand by combining these with three of five communal cards that are dealt to the center of the table.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno how authoritative that is, but it's all I found.
Closed Thread