Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 01:53 PM

Default vB Testing

Any mod can come over and begin testing the functionality of the vB install.

http://vb.twoplustwo.com

There are a couple things you should keep in mind. First, the issue of skins and style is mostly being dealt with last, although Kiera is currently working on a couple skins that approximate popular UBB styles. For now please focus on how the software is working. The sidebar isn't currrent, but that's a minor thing that will be addressed soon enough. There are going to be a couple other small configuration issues you'll notice. Don't assume anything is final.

For today I'd like it if you guys focused mostly on things from a user perspective than anything involving mod powers. It's also probably safe to disregard the few old testing threads that exist in there and start new discussions.

Finally, as the info used for this install is several months old, a few of you may not be able to sign in and view the test forum immediately. The best way to handle that is to contact me privately.

*edit*

Separate login and display names don't exist in vB, so you'll need to use your display name to sign in. I had already planned to announce this to all users in advance of the switch.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:18 PM

Default Re: vB Testing

Ryan,

What sort of feedback are you going for here?

Quote tags don't work and polls don't appear. Obviously these things will be fixed so I'm dumb to even bring them up.

Also, I hope the text column will be much wider and the sidebar much smaller. I'm guessing that's what you're going for.

I could start a thread in the vB test forum about this but as a noob I thought someone else should do it.

Also, it's good to see there's no Travel forum. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What sort of feedback are you going for here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any you want to give.

[ QUOTE ]
Quote tags don't work and polls don't appear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you referring to imported posts? Anything that comes over from UBB won't be perfect. In all honestly I'd prefer to import nothing but accounts, but that's not going to be what people want.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I hope the text column will be much wider and the sidebar much smaller.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh? The width probably won't be too far from what it is now once the ads are given final placement and such. It was actually narrowed a bit the other day when I noticed lots of white space. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] The sidebar should also be pushed back to the left. But again anything involving the current look is a subject best left for later when that's the focus.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:53 PM

I don't suppose it's possible to put names, avatars, post count, etc. in a column on the left as opposed to this big horizontal bar, is it? I'm not bugged by this solely because I hate change and because I want it to be the old way, but I think that the big horizontal delimiter between posts hinders reading and the flow of the thread.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:54 PM

That's a style issue best left for later or possibly even the vB devs.

I'm not sure how feasible that would be, but it's something I've been thinking about too. It would involve custom templates, which can start to get tricky when trying to keep the software updated.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Eh? The width probably won't be too far from what it is now once the ads are given final placement and such. It was actually narrowed a bit the other day when I noticed lots of white space. The sidebar should also be pushed back to the left. But again anything involving the current look is a subject best left for later when that's the focus.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree with tuq. The margins are HUGE! Is this a screen resolution (1600x1200) issue?

{Thumbnail so it doesn't stretch everyone's page)
Old 10-01-2007, 03:23 PM

Ive noticed something which may or may not be relevant.

In the strat forums, when a hand history is posted in its converted format, the HTML tags which control the images ie [ img ] and [ /img ] and fonts and such are now (I assume) obsolete, meaning that instead of an image of a card or whatever, you just get code.

This is going to be a huge problem if not rectified as the people who make the HH converters are going to have to completely recode their programs, and all HH posted are going to be corrupt. I am pretty sure that the vB developers can organise a way around this but just thought I would point this out if you hadn't noticed already.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:28 PM

Just some quick thoughts.

I like the bigger message box for typing out posts.

While most of us forum pros probably type out the UBB code/smilies, I think it's helpful for most posters that the icons are below the text box.

Mods are still going to be about to use HTML, right?

I'll try to give it another look later.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:31 PM

I should clarify this a bit more.

Poke around and see what comes to mind. I'd also like to see most of this discussion take place over there to keep it more or less in one place.

Those who were around for the UBB 7 stuff should note that things will be a bit different here. We actually have much less to discuss beforehand, as last time we were dealing with a total reorganization and new sidebar too. While vB does provide substantially more features, there's nothing that says we need to have every specific ironed out before going forward, like whether a minor setting should 9 or 10.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The margins are HUGE! Is this a screen resolution (1600x1200) issue?

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I mean this in the nicest way possible...

As I said, anything related to how it looks should come later. If you comment about any of that now you're probably just wasting your time anyway because you aren't viewing what we intend. Having said that a few times now, I'm probably not going to address it again until we're there.
Closed Thread