Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games

Old 10-04-2007, 11:43 AM

Default 5CD: Embarrassing Confession

In the BBV forum, people get to mouth off about all their wonderful plays or cry about how unlucky they were, I just want to admit to something that leaves me a little embarrassed. I hope you will add your own confessions as well. I play limit $1/$2 draw fivehanded at Paradise Poker. Well, I used to. The fish are swimming in other waters and my winrate fell to an alarming 1.1 bb over 55K hands. So, I jumped ship. However, I want to tell a couple of stories. At Paradise Poker, which is a skin or gateway or whatever it is called of sportingbet.com they have a heads up no limit to the number of raises rule in their limit games. The biggest pot I have won at $1/$2 is $99 heads up, but allow me to recount two occasions on which I lost, I put up so much action with two full houses that on one occasion four jacks stopped raising and on another four twos stopped raising. Biggest pot lost at $1/$2 draw is $66. To put the fear of God into someone with four jacks must make me a real scary guy (though I think he stopped because it recouped everything he had lost up to that point if he won).

Please do not mistake this for a bad beat post. These events transpired some time ago. They are interesting in that four of a kind should stop betting!
Old 10-04-2007, 12:43 PM

Default Re: 5CD: Embarrassing Confession

lol

what the heck did you / he have in a 50 BB pot?

it's just kind of funny to imagine putting in the 23rd re-raise and then deciding to just call when it comes back to you. the 24th raise always means a full-house obviously
Old 10-04-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol

what the heck did you / he have in a 50 BB pot?

it's just kind of funny to imagine putting in the 23rd re-raise and then deciding to just call when it comes back to you. the 24th raise always means a full-house obviously

[/ QUOTE ]

Agasint the four jacks I had Kings full both drew three cards...against the four twos I had three Aces, I took one card disguising the trips and he took two cards, I checked hoping to checkraise which I did and then it went backwards and forwards...I thought I had tricked him but I only tricked myself, lol... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2007, 05:01 PM

Hmm I'll have to spend time thinking about some memorable and/or embarrassing hands. As far as bloating pots go there have been many. On Celeb Poker I had three pots at 20/40 Euro (25/50 US) go 9+ bets post draw heads up and I didn't even play at the site long. The biggest was 11 bets and that was my straight flush which I made after being open ended pre-draw versus aces full. The bummer of it was that my opponent was out of money and would've kept going.

The worst beat I've given in the game dealt was AAAxx vs KKxxx, both improved to quads in a 3/6 fixed game.

The worst beat I've taken might be dealt QQQ33 in 10/20 PL, opponent had 555xx and improved to quads for just under a $5k pot.

30/60 HU hand recently, I raise button AKxxx, he 3 bets, I call, he draws 1, I draw 3 and don't improve, he checks, I bet, he raises, I call and win. I have won and lost several pots like this, embarrassing at times.

I have seen all kinds of things in this game from bluff caps post draw to someone standing pat on king high getting called and being good.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
30/60 HU hand recently, I raise button AKxxx, he 3 bets, I call, he draws 1, I draw 3 and don't improve, he checks, I bet, he raises, I call and win. I have won and lost several pots like this, embarrassing at times.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I might have actually seen that hand when watching you, or it might have been a similiar Hand on a PL50 tables of mine. (in which case the play quickly sways from brilliant to suicidal)

I am hardpressed to remember any specifically embarassing Hands I have played, although there probably are some. I did cap a K-T low after third draw in a 2-7 SnG today though, risking looking like a complete moron. Well, the table perceived me as a maniac afterwards anyway although I am pretty proud of my play.

PS: BBQBowser, do the 30/60 games ever run with more than two players? I'd love to watch a Full Ring game some time.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:15 PM

Since I christened the 30/60 full ring has only run one time. As far as watching goes, I have a hard time PLAYING a full ring let alone watching. We have different ideas of fun ! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It is running three handed more and more. Best time to find a good game to watch is on saturday and sunday.

Barry Greenstein and I have been talking with Lee Jones about running bigger limits for the game but he is not interested. Any thoughts on legitimate reasons ?
Old 10-04-2007, 06:32 PM

Well, I'd just love to watch some highstakes full ring to see how much it differs from the stakes I'm playing at. Playing against aware, usually skilled players probably takes a different approach to still being a winning player compared to playing against the usually poor competition on the lowest stakes.

I think the main reason against offering even higher stakes is that the current high stakes aren't really running very well. There are few tables at any stakes besides the very lowest ones, and usually none above the 2/4 or 3/6 levels. It's in the best interest of the card room to offer games at all stakes so people willing to move up have the opportunity to do so. That will not only produce increased rake but also keep the players at the site. Now adding 50/100 would likely end up deserting the 10/20 and 15/30 and 30/60 levels even more than they are right now. The gap people have to cross to move up would increase even more, and even less people would try. (although the number of Highstakes 5CD players seems to be very limited as is)

At least that's what I assume to be a possible reason.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:58 PM

Ive got a bad habit of playing similar games at the same time (like 7s and 7s8, plo and plo8).

Once I was playing tables of 5cd and TD27 @ the same time. I was @ a 5CD table but I thought it was TD. I was in the BB and called a button raise with 345 (not the best play in the world). I took 2, got a 6 and a 7, and then check called my opponent who had a pair of aces.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:43 PM

I've done that a lot myself. I usually run TD, Draw, and Hold Em at once.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:42 AM

Last night, PL 5CD 2/4. UTG limps, everyone limps. I'm in the SB and call with 77xxx. UTG draws one, but the button stands pat.

UTG has the button covered, and they both get into a raising war until the button's all in, who shows aces full. But UTG shows quad 6s to drag the $360 pot. UTG then tells me of a $600 pot where two players hit quads and a third hit a big full house. Sick.

Every time I hit my 75-1 shot and lose in limit, I thank my lucky stars it wasn't in a pot limit game.