Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Why aren't I the voluptuous black lady?
Because I'm a douche 31 26.27%
Because I'm stupid 24 20.34%
Because I don't like +EV 63 53.39%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 04:47 AM

Default Re: FutureDoc, Look inside.....[CENSORED] THREAD! [CENSORED] THREAD!

This has happened to me before as well (not same avatar but same location: Toronto). The other guy was a newer multitabler and had horrible stats, like -30 ROI over maybe 300-400 games. Everyone thought we were colluding. I felt inclined to say something like "I would never collude with a donk with such a hugely negative ROI." Then I realized it was stars and that would involve me admitting to using sharkscope, probably not a good idea.

I wonder what would happen if stars thought you were colluding on the bbl for example b/c you mucked QQ/KK to a shove...
Old 11-14-2007, 05:00 AM

They aren't idiots so I would assume they understand SNG play to an extent that would allow them to know that wasn't collusion. I'm also guessing they could figure out that a long time regular and other old or new regulars would inevitably have overlapping sets if they play the same stakes.

I made sure to have fun with them and say we were obviously colluding, and when he sends his email make sure he includes the solid evidence.. we both like family guy.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I made sure to have fun with them and say we were obviously colluding, and when he sends his email make sure he includes the solid evidence.. we both like family guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't do this.

FluorescentHippo and Spacegravy had their accounts locked because of FH's I <3 Spacegravy avatar.

Another guy had his account locked for saying "I am a bot" when someone suggested it.

While both these situations were resolved, it's an unnecessary hassle.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:38 AM

so ive had a few friends try small stakes SNGs after seeing what I have accomplished.

one guy who is a dorm friend was content being a microstakes breakeven donk that posted a lot in BBV under the assumption that being good at poker required a lot of time, something he didnt have due to a girlfriend and practicing MMA. well, he got a staph infection and had to stop MMA temporarily, and his being lazy on the couch got him into poker again and he got his BR up to 1k playing $6 sngs and is about to move up. he has some promise.

another guy, a roomie, is doing awesome at micro SNGs but struggled to start because he blew his winnings at microstakes PLO. he has a 19% ROI over 200 games at $3 avg stake so he has some promise as well.

a third guy is a friend of a friend and really had the motivation to get better with poker. sadly, he just didnt get it and despite watching all the Jackal69/ActionJeff SNG vids and having 2 sweat sessions with me his total SNG result is -$100 at micro SNGs, which is tragically sad since his total BR to start was $100.

basically, the moral of the story is not everyone can be successful with poker. however the first and second friend of mine I both knew from my dorm (which is famous for being the nerdish dorm). so, nerds have a statistical advantage at sngs.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

a third guy is a friend of a friend and really had the motivation to get better with poker. sadly, he just didnt get it and despite watching all the Jackal69/ActionJeff SNG vids and having 2 sweat sessions with me his total SNG result is -$100 at micro SNGs, which is tragically sad since his total BR to start was $100.

basically, the moral of the story is not everyone can be successful with poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally think anyone who isn't literally retarded can become successful at poker with hard work and dedication. It's just that most people are just too lazy and make little effort into studying the game, and that's probably the case with friend #3.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally think anyone who isn't literally retarded can become successful at poker with hard work and dedication. It's just that most people are just too lazy and make little effort into studying the game, and that's probably the case with friend #3.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can tell you from personal experience with 100% certainty that your wrong. I have worked with 2 different people for years (family obv) that are very succesful in life, very motivated, have spent tons of time at it, etc. One is a small winner at low strakes, the other break even at microstakes. some smart people just dont get it, or constantly unknowingly revert back to weak play.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can tell you from personal experience with 100% certainty that your wrong. I have worked with 2 different people for years (family obv) that are very succesful in life, very motivated, have spent tons of time at it, etc. One is a small winner at low strakes, the other break even at microstakes. some smart people just dont get it, or constantly unknowingly revert back to weak play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have trouble believing that it is IMPOSSIBLE for them to improve.

Most decisions in poker can be solved with a formula, which is really no different from various activities. For example, with cooking, you follow recipes. Poker is no different. "If you have XX hand in YY position, raise to ZZ."

Anyone who can follow directions and commits them to memory can be successful at all of these activities.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:19 AM

http://weather.cnn.com/weather/forec...?zipCode=66502

Manhattan, KS
Current Conditions updated 9:29 AM ET
50°
60° | 32°
Dreary

I don't think I'd want to be checking the weather channel often if it tells me it's "dreary" out.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have trouble believing that it is IMPOSSIBLE for them to improve.

Most decisions in poker can be solved with a formula, which is really no different from various activities. For example, with cooking, you follow recipes. Poker is no different. "If you have XX hand in YY position, raise to ZZ."

Anyone who can follow directions and commits them to memory can be successful at all of these activities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people just have a hard time with certain things. I used to train people to be courier drivers. Some of them had been very successful in other jobs and were very intelligent, but they just didnt have what it took to be successful drivers. Others who didnt seem as intelligent did much better at it.

I'm quite sure poker is very much the same. It might not be impossible for the people lacky is talking about to improve, but its possible that theyll never be very good at it no matter how hard they try.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:50 AM

Handsome,
I remember Jman telling me he has a friend who he coached and is terrible and he just can't learn. Lacky is right certain people just don't have the aptitude.
Closed Thread