Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 09:41 PM

Default Re: TV in the Lounge, Fall 07 Edition

Wookie, I'm going to give Californication a try. I need to figure out what night it's on. I've given up on TMYLM. I really don't want to have to shoot myself in the head.

Tonight's Dancing With The Stars -

Cameron sizzles!

Edyta gets a scolding from Len

Jenny channels Beyonce

Helio struggles to be a Latin lover

Marie collapses

Dr. Quinn looks elegant in a simpler routine (man that girl looks GOOD for her age!)

Sabrina is still a ringer

Mark acts like a nerd

Spicey Mel impresses again and Max wears the most gay outfit I've ever seen him in. I really didn't like either of their outfits.

My favorites: Max, Cameron and Mel [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2007, 11:02 PM

Did anyone watch The Bachelor?! What did you think?

Odell, what's going on with Bettina? My opinion of her has plummeted. Based on the preview I would say he'd better pick Jenny or Deanna!
Old 10-23-2007, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone watch Real Time with Bill Maher? I think he's the best "political funnyman" out there. Great guests, interesting topics, gives both sides equal say, and I just happen to agree with everything he says - especially when he gets serious about his new rules at the end of the show.

The most intelligent, thought-provoking pundit out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love him, but his take on the Vietnam war is pretty shallow, to say the least.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did anyone watch The Bachelor?! What did you think?

Odell, what's going on with Bettina? My opinion of her has plummeted. Based on the preview I would say he'd better pick Jenny or Deanna!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm afraid that Bettina may end up being a psycho. The preview does make her prospects look dim. I think her strength right now is that she does seem to leave him wanting more. The hard to get thing is working.

The other blonde has no chance. She is a ditz.

I think Deanna will end up being too immature. Jenny is the frontrunner.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:16 AM

Default Damages!

I can't wait for this to come out on DVD so I can watch it in one or two sittings to see if it really holds together. But quality, quality series.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Damages!

Dancing with Wookie, catching up from 10/22/2007

Samba and rumba tonight. Samba is usually one of the dances that makes the dancers look the best. Rumba is one of the absolute toughest.

Jonny and Marie kick things off with samba, and from the first step, I'm underwhelmed. It was very, very slow, and her rhythm was muddy and dragging. She was imprecise in her foot placement, and her performance was nothing special. She didn't have the exuberant, sexy spark you need for this. I'd already heard that she fainted from this dance, and quite frankly, I'm surprised she did. This didn't look like a dance that required all that much physical exertion. I do feel a little bad piling it on the woman who fainted, but I think her 21 was a little generous.

DQDW got rumba. There are few stars for whom I think rumba would be a good dance, but this might suit Jane better than it does for most people. There really is no reason a woman her age should look as good as she does. I'd say wardrobe was kind to her, but it's all her. Jane's top third and bottom third looked solid. Her arms and her lines are fantastic, and her footwork was looking great. It was her middle third that was lacking. Her hips were far too quiet for this dance. If she got her hips moving a little more, she could ratchet up the sexiness another 3 notches and really give herself a chance at the top spot. I honestly was thinking she'd get a 24-25, but I do have to agree that there were points where she looked like Edyta.

Mark Cuban is up third, and Kym got a great costume. Unfortunately, the didn't have a great dance. Mark desperately needs to turn out his feet. Turning your feet out, rather than dancing pigeon-toed, is critical to getting your hips moving properly and positioning your whole body properly. His frame is shoddy in places, and his lines are weak. I think this was a little weaker than Marie; I'd give him a point or two lower.

Sabrina got rumba, and that should be a good test for her. Samba would be the perfect dance for her, but if she's the real deal, she should be able wow us with rumba. She was good, but this wasn't her best. Like DQDQ, I don't think she had enough hip action, although she was better than DQDW. I guess I feel a little sick of just lavishing praise on her, since she's obviously good. I do feel inclined to root for the up-and-comers rather than someone who's just naturally talented, but there's no denying she's good. I actually think the 28 she got was fair.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Sabrina got rumba, and that should be a good test for her. Samba would be the perfect dance for her, but if she's the real deal, she should be able wow us with rumba. She was good, but this wasn't her best. Like DQDQ, I don't think she had enough hip action, although she was better than DQDW. I guess I feel a little sick of just lavishing praise on her, since she's obviously good. I do feel inclined to root for the up-and-comers rather than someone who's just naturally talented, but there's no denying she's good. I actually think the 28 she got was fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. She's very talented and clearly the best dancer. I find it more fun to root for the others.

Also, DQDQ? DQDW Dancing Woman?
do you have jet lag?
Old 10-25-2007, 08:35 PM

Jennie kicks off the second half with another samba. I'm curious if she can pull this off well. So far, she's done best in the serious dances rather than the fun ones. Oh man, that could have been out of this world if only she smiled. Her technique is really quite good, but she needs to smile and communicate the fun and the energy. With a little more flare and fun, she could have taken the top spot with this one, but as is, Sabrina put on the better show. I think her 25 was fair, but with just a little more performance, she had the technique to give her a 30.

Helio got rumba, and since I've been cheering for him, I'm somewhat saddened by this. I think I'd rather see him do samba. I have to agree with Carrie Ann here that his lines were worse this week. The judges language was harsh, and I don't think they really got at the root of the problem. Helio needed to stretch out his movement more. He needed to make it smoother and more languid. He was rushing through the movements a bit, and in rumba, that's a critical mistake. In my experience, stretching out your movement and taking the full time of each beat to take your step or move your arm or swivel your hips, maybe sometimes even stretching beyond the length of a beat, makes your dance much, much sexier. His shoulders were creeping in a hair, too. I think the 7 Len gave him was robbery, but this wasn't better than a 24.

Mel got samba, and she should be very happy for that. This is just what she needs to crack up the sexiness and excitement and get the votes she need to get the votes. That was the best samba of the night. You see how she came out of the splits? THAT's how you stretch out your movement to be sexy. Max did get punked by wardrobe, but he had a great routine. Hmmm. I think that's a fair score for her. I don't think she was perfect, getting her rhythm and posture off on just a few steps. Was she better than Sabrina? That's the real question. I think so, but she also got the better dance.

Cameron closes out the night, and he gets stuck with rumba. I've been pulling for him to do well, both because of his improvement and to keep Edyta around. Good thing for Cameron that rumba is one of Edyta's strongest dances. Oh [censored]. That was indeed ridiculously sexy. So sexy that I almost wasn't looking at his technique. Almost. Cameron needs to turn out his toes just a little more and close his fingers when he's extending his lines. It's a shame that they got docked for the lift, but them's the rules. This is the dance I'd most like to watch again, even if I have to agree it shouldn't be scored the highest.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:36 PM

I've used DQDW earlier in here. DQDW = Dr. Quinn, Dancing Woman.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. She's very talented and clearly the best dancer. I find it more fun to root for the others.

Also, DQDQ? DQDW Dancing Woman?
do you have jet lag?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shame that Mark got cut, I was enjoying his progress and I wanted to see his partner in another I Dream of Jeanie outfit!

That Sabrina girl is good, but I think Jennie is actually better, if a bit insecure.

I'd watch a show with Edyta reading a book.