Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 11:14 AM

Default Re: notebook problem

[ QUOTE ]
Question:
*Did you press all the f-buttons? try to remember which ones you hit.
f5-f10 but probably only f5-f8
*Try to remember some of the words - anything really that was written on the screen - write here .. everything is important.
first it was something like [searching cd] and then [deleting] with a slash sign that rotated. ididnt have a win cd or so in the drive, only a printer drive cd
*What happens when you turn it on - tft stays black? (I assume yes). What lights are on? What blinks? What sounds does it make (eg. any harddrive noise)? first i dont hear almost any noise at all and few seconds later it makes all the normal noises. i only hear the standard bios double beep at the beginning and no bios error sounds.

the power led is on and i can feel that the cpu is hot after few minutes. the caps lock sign isnt on when i press capslock after a few minutes so win doesnt load probably.the mouse laser isnt on aswell.

And most important:

*What brand of notebook is it? (brand and model number please)

an asus a6t notebook

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-29-2007, 11:55 AM

btw the led that the hd is working is never on
Old 07-29-2007, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Find/get a boot disk. Insert, on startup hit F8 or w/e boot menu is. On Boot Menu start from CD Drive instead of Hard Drive. Load, reformat and reinstall. Computer works.

damn, after my recent run $50 would be really nice.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-30-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Find/get a boot disk. Insert, on startup hit F8 or w/e boot menu is. On Boot Menu start from CD Drive instead of Hard Drive. Load, reformat and reinstall. Computer works.

damn, after my recent run $50 would be really nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume that this doesn't work - since NOTHING is showing on his screen. No windows boot, no F8 boot menu.

Right Chill .. I thought about this.

It seems like you didn't do anything to your harddrive - otherwise the computer would boot and show a harddrive failure. So you must have done something else.

I assume that you are 100% sure that you didn't just turn the LCD off by pressing Fn+some F key.

Here are some thoughts - scenarios:

Number one:
I know that Asus has a windows recovery partition which can be activated by pressing F10 on the Asus boot screen. You could have accidently hit this BUT then you would have gotten some menu where you had to choose whether to recover or not. You did not describe this so I assume this is not the case. Also this would not explain why the computer won't even start up.

Number 2:
You could have pressed F2 (or something else) and somehow gotten into the bios. The bios doesn't normally have a section where you can delete anything. Again you would also have been greeted by a menu. Not likely

Number 3:
You hit a button that makes the computer boot from another drive cd/usb/something that you had connected. This drive would have to have had some kind of boot sector and started some update process - are you sure the cd in the drive was harmless?

Number 4:
Something about this doesn't make sense. There is normally no hidden button on a computer that destroys it. Are you sure that you didn't try to update your bios, crack the sw on the graphics card or make your dvd drive region free? You must have booted something.

Otherwise I don't really know what you did ..

Any other info you can give will help me determine the problem better.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:51 PM

Right Chill .. I thought about this.

It seems like you didn't do anything to your harddrive - otherwise the computer would boot and show a harddrive failure. So you must have done something else.

I assume that you are 100% sure that you didn't just turn the LCD off by pressing Fn+some F key.

i tried the fn buttons afterwars and my second screen doesnt react too so i dont think thats the problem

Here are some thoughts - scenarios:

Number one:
I know that Asus has a windows recovery partition which can be activated by pressing F10 on the Asus boot screen. You could have accidently hit this BUT then you would have gotten some menu where you had to choose whether to recover or not. You did not describe this so I assume this is not the case. Also this would not explain why the computer won't even start up.

Number 2:
You could have pressed F2 (or something else) and somehow gotten into the bios. The bios doesn't normally have a section where you can delete anything. Again you would also have been greeted by a menu. Not likely

Number 3:
You hit a button that makes the computer boot from another drive cd/usb/something that you had connected. This drive would have to have had some kind of boot sector and started some update process - are you sure the cd in the drive was harmless?

yes 100% sure it was a hp deskjet driver cd
Number 4:
Something about this doesn't make sense. There is normally no hidden button on a computer that destroys it. Are you sure that you didn't try to update your bios, crack the sw on the graphics card or make your dvd drive region free? You must have booted something.

i didnt try to update the bios and not trying to crack something

Otherwise I don't really know what you did ..

if i listen to the sound it seems like the computer reboots from time to time but it seems to stop before windows starts

Any other info you can give will help me determine the problem better.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-30-2007, 04:06 PM

Okay I'm now pretty sure that you entered the Asus recovery thingy - like you said that support told you.

Problem is: why is there nothing on the screen??

Taking out the battery of the computer probably wont change anything.

Try the following things (turn the computer off in between):
---------------------------------------------------------------
Turn the computer on.
Hold the Fn key and press F6 to increase brightness (I know you tried this but try again [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]). Keep Fn down and tap F6
Connect your external monitor
Turn the computer on.
Hold the Fn key and press F7 to change screen.
Wait like 10 seconds - anything on external monitor?
Again hold the Fn key and press F7.
anything on external monitor now?
Turn computer on.
start pressing the F10 button to see of you can enter the recovery program again.