Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2007, 08:23 AM

Default 5CD: my favorite place to snow

Hero raise-opens on the button, with a not-so-strong pair (say JJ?)
SB calls for 1.5 small bets
BB folds

If SB draws 3...I draw 0

+EV?

What other spots are good to snow?
Old 01-17-2007, 08:27 AM

Default Re: 5CD: my favorite place to snow

*can i say "snow" in draw? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
or is it only ever called a "pat hand bluff"?
Old 01-17-2007, 01:31 PM

I'm wondering how many people are pat-hand bluffing.

Was playing last night and there seemed to be a lot more pat hands then usual 'all of the sudden.'

Its such a great bluff because what can you call with? (when I've had pat hands I've been called just enough that I'm very hesitant to do it.)

I prefer drawing 2 cards to represent a set then the pat hand bluff. If I'm going to pull the pat hand bluff I'd rathar do it in a hand with more then one player fighting for a larger pot.

Don't know if that's wise but...
Old 01-17-2007, 02:23 PM

yeah, I normally pat hand bluff when a tight ABC player calls my opening raise and I have a pair that figures to be worst. I dont like doing it from the button (or blinds) as much, cause it looks like a blind steal. But say I opened from the CO with JJ and got called by a tight player on the button, I might stay pat even before Id seen what theyd drawn.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm wondering how many people are pat-hand bluffing.

[/ QUOTE ]
seems they either do it too much, or never. of course, those who do it rarely never get noticed i guess (sneaky ninja style!)
[ QUOTE ]

Was playing last night and there seemed to be a lot more pat hands then usual 'all of the sudden.'

[/ QUOTE ]
ah yes, "monkey-see, monkey-do" syndrome. lol.
[ QUOTE ]

Its such a great bluff because what can you call with? (when I've had pat hands I've been called just enough that I'm very hesitant to do it.)

[/ QUOTE ]
pussy! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
[ QUOTE ]

I prefer drawing 2 cards to represent a set then the pat hand bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]
1) these donks are so used to seeing each other draw 2 to one big pair...
2) seriously consider drawing 1 with your real sets. I hardly ever draw 2 with any hand. [ QUOTE ]

If I'm going to pull the pat hand bluff I'd rathar do it in a hand with more then one player fighting for a larger pot.

[/ QUOTE ] This may be why you are getting looked up too often. Then again, I see the merits of doing it versus a field. I guess i'm hesitant to bluff multiple ppl because i'm usually playing limit. How big a bet are you firing? Full-pot?
Old 01-18-2007, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
seems they either do it too much, or never. of course, those who do it rarely never get noticed i guess (sneaky ninja style!)

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't yet caught anyone doing the pat hand bluff. But then I've barely been playing a week. I've unfortunately never had a strong enough hand to even consider calling one yet or have it happen against anyone maniacal enough that I think they're likely bluffing.

[ QUOTE ]
1) these donks are so used to seeing each other draw 2 to one big pair...
2) seriously consider drawing 1 with your real sets. I hardly ever draw 2 with any hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I neary always draw 1 to my real sets. The only times I don't are if I have reason to believe I'm against a better set (or a made hand) and definitely feel I need to improve. I also realize its indistinguishable from 2 pair. I so rarely draw 2 that I figure if I do it occasionally it make look like a set, no?

[ QUOTE ]
This may be why you are getting looked up too often. Then again, I see the merits of doing it versus a field. I guess i'm hesitant to bluff multiple ppl because i'm usually playing limit. How big a bet are you firing? Full-pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only played Pot limit. I pretty much always bet 2/3 to pot after the draw. For a bluff I would be consistant.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:30 AM

I've been playing more and when I draw 2 I get called like 90% of the time it seems.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:34 AM

Yeah, a lot of people automatically assume that no one would ever draw 2 with trips.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:10 PM

I have been playing draw for abour a yr. I think when you guys post about draw youhave to be specific to the type and buy in. If your playing .5-1 limit is a totally different game than say NL. I think alot of new people could be getting alot of bad info.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:13 PM

This leads to an interesting strategy idea of "snowing" with good 2 pair and trip hands when someone starts looking up your pats.