Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Top Five Players by position in the NBA

[ QUOTE ]
Sheed is more of a role player and a great defensive PF then a top 5 PF. He still has bad shot selection (hikes up like 5 3 points a game), he isn't a special rebounder.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not think he has bad shot selection.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tmac>PP.
I live in Houston, you live in MA.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in SACTOWN baby! Go Kings! *puke*

We've been over it before in another thread. TMac is definitely better at peak performance. Career stats are really darn close, though I still think TMac understands the game a bit better and sees the floor much better. But Pierce is a scoring machine who gets to the line at will and rebounds better.

The main argument is PP for 80 games > TMac for 65. Maybe it'll be closer now that PP is getting a little banged up, but that was really just this one year, not a chronic back problem.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:45 PM

A lot of this is going to matter which position you put certain players at. To remove all bias and silly arguments over what position each player plays, I think its best to simply go by which position they played the majority of their games at this past year.

PG
1. Nash
2. Kidd
3. Paul
4. C Billups
5. D Williams

SG
1. Kobe
2. Wade
3. McGrady
4. Arenas
5. Joe Johnson

SF
1. Lebron
2. Paul Pierce
3. Melo
4. Marion
5. Gerald Wallace

I know the Wallace pick will turn some heads. Here are his post all star break numbers this year: 21.7 points on 52.6% shooting, 40.4% 3pt shooting, 8.3 rebounds, 3.3 assists, 2.2 steals, 1.1 blocks.

PF
1. Duncan
2. KG
3. Dirk
4. Bosh
5. Brand

C
1. Amare
2. Yao
3. Howard
4. Gasol
5. Okafor
Old 05-10-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why is shaq being left off the center's list?

[/ QUOTE ]because hes not very good anymore
Old 05-10-2007, 06:47 PM

Baron is a top 3 pg in the league when he is healthy. The problem is he gets injured every year so he can't play the way he would if he were healthy. He's not just a 1 series wonder.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:52 PM

PG
1)Nash
2)Kidd
3)Billups
4)Paul
5)Deron

SG
1)Kobe
2)Wade
3)Arenas
4)Manu
5)T-Mac

SF
1)Lebron
2)Marion
3)Deng
4)Carter
5)Josh Howard

PF
1)KG
2)Dirk
3)Boozer
4)Bosh
5)Brand

C

1)Duncan
2)Howard
3)Amare
4)Camby
5)Chandler

No Yao because he turns the ball over too much and isn't a good enough rebounder, although that is the one I am most torn about, and if you don't value rebounding that high then he should go 4th above Camby and chandler who are both very similar players. He's also hurt too often, which also is a big consideration keeping him off.
No melo because he doesn't shoot well enough, all the other people I have at the three are great all around players excpet carter who edges him on being a better 3 point shooter, but better passer, and turning the ball over less.
Arenas at the 2 because he shoots the ball so often and isn't really a pure point in the way the other PG's are. I think of him more in the iverson type who I consider a 2. If you put arenas as a 1 he'd be 4th behind chauncey. Overall the 2 guard position is really weak I think, and the PF position is really stacked, especially if you consider Amare and Duncan as 4's which is reasonable.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:57 PM

Yao and Melo not making your lists is insane. Vince Carter continues to be overrated by many people in this thread.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:07 PM

assani,

it all depends on how valuable you think rebounds are, although I was mistaken earlier. If you don't think they are that valuable, the howard drops to 4 yao becomes 3 and amare 2, I think that's fairly reasonable to say amare>yao although it is close. I think rebounds are worth about a made shot, and I think it's up to debate on how valuable they really are, but it's not a settled question, nor do I think my position is entirely unreasonable, as a rebound gains you a possession which is worth about a point today, and a made basket gives you 2 points but loses you a possession. I'm open to critiquing this assumption, but I don't think it's too far off base, and once you look at it that way, high rebound guys like howard, KG, camby, and chandler become really valuable.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:08 PM

Yao is still getting 9.4 RPG in 33 mpg, which is pretty solid. You act like he's horrible.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:12 PM

capone0, he's not horrible, but then again we aren't talking about whether or not Yao is an average center but whether or not he's one of the top 5. Andre Miller's assist numbers aren't horrible, but they aren't great, and great point guards get a lot of assists in the same way that great centers get a lot of rebounds. His rebounding is much worse than all of the other C's but Amare, and he loses out to amare in turnovers, field goal percentage.