Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Re: so i\'ll have a law degree soon...

so far i don't have a class that is more practical than contracts. indeed, much of law school curriculum is designed to prepare you for a career practicing law (hence the dillema).

that is not to say the other classes don't have practical value outside of being a lawyer. Torts (another first year class) is pretty relevant to everyday life in the sense that it teaches you what you can be sued for/how to conduct yourself in certain scenarios so that you won't be sued/what you can sue other people for. that, to me, is a pretty powerful tool - to be in a comprimising situation and have the knowledge to do exactly what you should be doing to cover your as$.

i haven't taken Property yet but I would imagine that would be extremely practical.

civil procedure (again, a 1L class) informs you of all your rights in court (suing or being sued). that isn't much practical value though because you would have an attorney that would be taking care of all of that, but i can't help but feel like i'm learning very important information when i'm sitting in that class.

i can't really comment alot on this because i don't even have an entire semester under my belt. maybe some actual lawyers can add something or disillusion me.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Re: so i\'ll have a law degree soon...

[ QUOTE ]
so far i don't have a class that is more practical than contracts. indeed, much of law school curriculum is designed to prepare you for a career practicing law (hence the dillema).

that is not to say the other classes don't have practical value outside of being a lawyer. Torts (another first year class) is pretty relevant to everyday life in the sense that it teaches you what you can be sued for/how to conduct yourself in certain scenarios so that you won't be sued/what you can sue other people for. that, to me, is a pretty powerful tool - to be in a comprimising situation and have the knowledge to do exactly what you should be doing to cover your as$.

i haven't taken Property yet but I would imagine that would be extremely practical.

civil procedure (again, a 1L class) informs you of all your rights in court (suing or being sued). that isn't much practical value though because you would have an attorney that would be taking care of all of that, but i can't help but feel like i'm learning very important information when i'm sitting in that class.

i can't really comment alot on this because i don't even have an entire semester under my belt. maybe some actual lawyers can add something or disillusion me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound like an Ontario law student, these courses are all mandatory in 1L in Ontario.