Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life

Old 11-18-2007, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Law School Application Time

"How do law school admissions weigh GPAs and majors? "

Triple beam, ha, imo.

"Also, is there any benefit to applying with a mathematics or philosphy major over something like sociology? "

Here is how it generally works

Engineering/Hard science>>>>>>>Everything else blurs together. I imagine philosophy is slightly better than sociology but when the admissions people see "not full of math" they put you in the same bucket as the other 8000 kids with humanities and social sciences degrees.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:09 AM

FlyWf,

Obviously they use a bunch of short bus people in that article, which is one of my problems with it. I mean, some of these diploma factories will take anyone, so obviously if you're at the bottom, you're not getting a job.

Thing is, to a lesser degree, the same thing happens at all schools that aren't in the top 10.

I know people in the top quarter at schools like UCONN and Brooklyn or people in the top 1/3 at schools like GW/BU/BC that aren't getting big firm offers and they aren't speds. They got into very hard to get into schools, they beat on 2/3 of the people in their class. They just didn't nail the top or get on a journal. And they are being shut out.

Granted, not everyone deserves a $160k job right out of school. Most don't, probably including the people that actually get it. The problem is, law schools make it seems like you go there and as long as you graduate the choice is up to you. Look at bottom rank schools like Thomas Jefferson that have fake rankings where they somehow come out on top of Yale/Harvard/Stanford. Now maybe someone who buys that marketing deserves to be screwed, but the problem is that its happening to a lesser degree.

How many people would actually go to Loyola or Suffolk or wherever if they actually got to see a 100% report of individual salaries with honest average salaries, etc.

I think when they saw that only 1/2 the people have jobs at graduation and only 10% of them are making more than $50k, they might think twice about taking out those loans. Remember, its not like most of these bottom schools are giving price breaks. You pay the same for Loyola as you do for Yale.

Thing is, you have 50% of the people thinking they can get what is only ever gonna be available to 10%. This isn't some corporate ladder where if you don't make the cut you still got your job, instead you're 150k in the hole, making $40k a year without benefits and trying to cross intersections in front of expensive cars.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:13 AM

PS- I am a 2L and just accepted an offer with my top choice firm in the city I want to be in, a firm that currently pays $160k to first years and $3100/wk to summers, all while saving $100k because I took $$$ over higher ranked schools. (Just so you know this isn't coming from someone bitter about the way things worked out)
Old 11-19-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Required reading before going to law school

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119040786780835602.html

[/ QUOTE ]

From the article: $100k in law school debt. Wow. Just wow. I feel much better now having only $52k.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From the article: $100k in law school debt. Wow. Just wow. I feel much better now having only $52k.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know people that have $50k from undergrad and they are taking out $50k each of three years for law school for over $200k in loans.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PS- I am a 2L and just accepted an offer with my top choice firm in the city I want to be in, a firm that currently pays $160k to first years and $3100/wk to summers, all while saving $100k because I took $$$ over higher ranked schools. (Just so you know this isn't coming from someone bitter about the way things worked out)

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who pays any attention at all to these law school threads are more than familiar with your stats, Noah... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2007, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know people that have $50k from undergrad and they are taking out $50k each of three years for law school for over $200k in loans.

[/ QUOTE ]
qft. god how i wish i could have only 50k in law school debt. i will be at around 100k which, as you mentioned, is not too bad compared to many people. and i feel very blessed at this point that, like you, i was able to have a good first year and get a great job. i feel bad for the people that are in more debt than me and are having a tough time finding a job.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:03 PM

Noah,

You have a job? Wow, awesome.

Where do you go to school?
Where else did you apply?
What higher ranked schools did you get into and choose not to go to?
What is your gpa?
How hard did you work for it?
How much money will you be making next summer?
Hoe much richer than everyone else are you going to be?
How on earth are you so much smarter than everyone else????????????
Old 11-20-2007, 02:08 PM

RM,

BC
lots of places
Georgetown, Columbia
not hard for 3 months per semester, very hard for 1.
$3100/wk
not very, lots of debt
good genes

hope that helps!!!!
Old 11-20-2007, 03:09 PM

noah what did you do your summer after your 1L year? What options besides working for a firm would you recommend. I'm a 1l from Utexas and the career office keeps telling me that I have to get things off on dec 1st.