Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 01:49 PM

Default Card flipped on accident... SOSA?

While the hand was being dealt, the SB accidentally flipped over one of his own cards. It landed face-up near the 10-seat, so not everybody saw it, and he quickly flipped it back over and joined it with his other card.

How does Show One Show All apply here? What's the dealer's obligation if she saw the card? If she didn't?
Old 05-16-2007, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Card flipped on accident... SOSA?

The dealer normally shows the card and announces it to the table, then turns it face down and dumps it in the muck.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The dealer normally shows the card and announces it to the table, then turns it face down and dumps it in the muck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Er, no.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Er, no.

[/ QUOTE ]

At, CAZ, the dealer will not let the player keep the card unless he is very sure that the player did it on purpose to get a better one. The exposed card is shown to the other players and is then used as the burn card.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:16 PM

A strict interpretation of the SOSA rule would say the card has to be shown to everyone. What I usually see happening is if the guy quickly grabs his card after a fumble, nothing is done unless someone on the other end of the table wants to invoke SOSA.

The card is not replaced unless it it exposed during the deal (catches air or bounces off chips, etc...), and then it is used as the burn card for the flop.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:21 PM

I think there have been stories on 2p2 about people that had to play out a hand with one of their cards face up, but whenever I've seen someone accidentally expose their hand, no one has ever said anything about it.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Er, no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh- you are right. I misread the OP- I thought the card flipped over as he was mucking it. Mea Culpa.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Er, no.

[/ QUOTE ]

At, CAZ, the dealer will not let the player keep the card unless he is very sure that the player did it on purpose to get a better one. The exposed card is shown to the other players and is then used as the burn card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like an angle-shooting paradise. If the card flips as the dealer is dealing it he gets a new one. The player does not get to look at the card, then "accidentally" flip it and get a new one. If the player had any chance of having seen the card prior to it flipping, he's SOL.

Once saw a case where a card caught a little air on the way to the player and an edge lifted a bit. Player pauses and looks at the dealer and the dealer looks at the player with a "whatever you wanna do" look, then the player looks at the card he just got, and flips over a 4 saying "it was exposed--I want a new one". Nosireee! You decide BEFORE you look at it whether you want a new one.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To clarify the RULE at CAZ:
If the card is revealed through no fault of the player, then the card is exposed to all players and replaced.
If revealed by fault of the player, they must keep the card, but they are NOT obligated to expose it any further. SOSA applies only when a card is intentionally exposed to another player.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:28 PM

If the card got flipped over when the player was gathering them, then you just treat it like any other exposed card. Turn it over, replace, proceed. In fact, if the player has ANY doubt that the card flashed, he can just turn it over and get a new one. It's no big deal.