Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 02:35 AM

Default Re: Skip Bayless hates kickers

I'm being leveled, right?
Old 10-24-2007, 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But if they are playing Arena Football in 30 years, there will be super annoying Pats-fan-equivalents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm doubting that will happen on a significant scale at all.
There are fans of the NHL but still not that many despite all the different rules-changes they try to make the game more appealing to more fans.

I don't think we're going to see a huge amount of LA Galazy and NY Red Bull soccer fans in 30 yrs either if they are still around although maybe with an increasing immigrant and latino population in the U.S. this could happen I suppose.

But fringe sports are still going to be fringe sports for the most part and the AFL is not in a zillion years going to be even close to the NFL in terms of fan-following.

There are so many die-hard football fans out there who watch the sport non-stop and even they won't watch arena-ball.
12 straight hours of college football on Saturday and then 3 straight games on Sunday and then Monday Night football. Every single week.
But when the arena-league is on I'm changing the channel. I even tried to watch a couple of close games before but it just isn't very interesting on TV.

I mean, this is football afterall so fans of football are supposed to be able to get into it...but they simply don't.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:04 AM

The only chance something like arena league would become HUGE is if the best players out of college went there instead. Barring some meltdown of the NFL, this will never happen.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:21 AM

i can see the argument for getting rid of kickers... but my general feeling is like, if it aint broke, dont fix it. everyone loves football right now, its the most popular sport in america, and its popularity is growing internationally. why make a potentially radical change to a wildly successful form of entertainment?
Old 10-24-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Arena ball is pretty stupid to watch and looks ridiculous on TV.

[/ QUOTE ]
No way man. I'm not in favor of the crazy rule changes in the NFL but arena football is fun to watch live. I go to Avengers' games all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with arena ball is that their rules essentially ammount to "no defence". If they removed the restrictions on blitzing, defensive motion, and the linebacker in the box rule, the game would be MUCH better. It would be better still if the did away with the guy running toward the line of scrimage. The small field affords plenty of opportunities for scoring, so these gimicks aren't nessessary, and they make the game almost unwatchable IMO.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kickers are fine, but they should get rid of punting. Punts are easily the most boring play in football, in fact they make the games less exciting by lowering scoring.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is fine the way it is, but if you want to make it more exciting, I recomend the following:

First, if there is no fair catch, there has to be a halo rule. I prefer the fair catch, since the halo cripples the coverage team and prevents some big hits. So I say keep the fair catch.

Two changes that I think would be okay.

1) make the ball live if it has gone 25 yards (like it was in the XFL). This way, the receiving team would have to play. There would be no more getting away from the ball while it rolls to a stop (yawn).

2) Make punting out of bounds illegal (like it is on kickoffs).
Old 10-24-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I like making TDs 7 points and making the 2PC optional. If you make it, you get 2 points. If you miss, you lose 2 points."

So if you decided to go for 2 then you would have either 9 or 5 depending on whether or not you made it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:15 PM

Typical Final Score: Carolina 11 - Washington 5!!!

I think the NFL should do the WSOP starting chip-stack strategy and just double everything. It makes everything look bigger without really changing very much.

So a touchdown is worth 12 and the extra point is really 'going for 2' and if you try to run or pass for your conversion then that is 'going for 4'.
Field Goals are 6.
Obviously we would change the rule for a safety and make that worth 32 points because, well, just because.

And if a punt goes off the helmet of your left-tackle then that is worth a half-point.

If a defender blocks the punt or kick with his hip, crotch or buttocks his team wins the game and everyone goes home.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:02 PM

lol now i'm playing poker listening to him claim the nfl can't possibly fail in europe.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"I like making TDs 7 points and making the 2PC optional. If you make it, you get 2 points. If you miss, you lose 2 points."

So if you decided to go for 2 then you would have either 9 or 5 depending on whether or not you made it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

eek