Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 06:03 PM

Default Top pair vs fish ~ 50NL

Villan is 48/0/2 over a small sample of 30 hands. This is obviously the first time I've seen him raise. No other reads to mention. How did I play this?

Hold'em NL (£0.10/£0.20)
Table "Dimanahayu" Seat 6 is the button.
Seat 1: SB (£18.14 in chips)
Seat 2: BB (£10.04 in chips)
Seat 3: UTG (£24.69 in chips)
Seat 4: HERO (£30.14 in chips)
Seat 5: VILLAN (£8.25 in chips)

Seat 6: BUTTON (£19.67 in chips)
Houchen1: posts small blind £0.10
Cheese33: posts big blind £0.20
----- HOLE CARDS -----
dealt to HERO [J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
HERO: raises to £0.80
VILLAN: raises to £1.40
HERO: calls £0.60
----- FLOP ----- 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
HERO: checks
VILLAN: checks
----- TURN ----- 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
HERO: bets £2
VILLAN: calls £2
----- RIVER ----- 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
HERO: bets £3
VILLAN: raises to £4.85 and is all-in
HERO: calls £1.85
Old 09-24-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Top pair vs fish ~ 50NL

Fold preflop as AJo doesn't play well against his range, and you'll be OOP.

Lead out on the flop if we called preflop and I won't put any more money in the pot.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:17 PM

For just another 0.60, I would call the preflop 3-bet too, getting 4:1. I think the decision is close, though, and it might be better to fold. I know our read on Villain is sketchy and he may not really be as tight with his preflop raises as it appears, but you are going to have reverse-implied odds problems on any flop that hits you aside from, like, JJ6 flops. (Basically, you'll outflop KK and QQ about 1/6 of the time but often won't win much postflop when you do, unless Villain decides to take a fatalistic approach with his short stack, so on those occasions where the money goes in postflop on Axx flops, you'll lose to AK more often than we'd really like. I think it does help somewhat that Villain is short-stacked and seems fishy, though.)

Postflop seems fine to me, but I think it kind of illustrates the problem I just described.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:39 AM

Yeah, I think we definitely have to call preflop with those odds. Even if it's just to hit our ace and try to get to a cheap showdown.

Could a better line post flop be to just c/c all the way, even when we pick up the nut flush draw on the turn?